twelve

David licked his lips, not once, not twice - but a grand total of nine times.

Something he only did when nervous. Or guilty.

"Um, Ave?"

From the car, Terri's eyes flickered between Aven and David nervously as she fidgeted with the leopard print steering wheel cover in front of her. Shiloh, however, was more composed. She shot Aven a look that said both, I want to know everything in full detail later and I swear if you let him off the hook easily, I won't hesitate to slap some sense into you.

"Come on Terri," Shiloh says nudging her and reattaching her own seat belt. "let's leave these two to their business."

Terri looked appalled. "What? This is the perfect opportunity to kick some lying booty!" She gives David a look that was meant to be a sinister glare, but with her willowy frame, there's no look in the world that could make Terri appear menacing.

"Terri, back the car out of the driveway and never say booty again, I beg of you."

After a round of exasperated sighs, Terri's Audi is gone and all that remains are Aven, David, and the uncomfortable silence between them.

David licks his lips, again. Aven examines her cuticles.

 Night has fallen and street lights illume the dark winding road. A gust of wind picks up and Aven's hair blows uncontrollably. The faint sound of an owl's hoot can be heard overhead.

In any other situation, the air between them could've very well been romantic. But in this one, not so much.

"God, if looks could kill Aven." David laughs nervously.

"Six feet under would be a good look on you." Aven drawled.

Another tense moment of silence. This time it's Aven who licks her lips.

David's lips open as if he's about to say something but he freezes, his mouth agape, staring at the Scott's front door.

Aven spins around and she's greeted by her mom, Cassandra, and Zach, peering at her and David's ''conversation'' from the front porch.

"Sweetie, bring your friend in for dinner." Mrs. Scott yelled from the door. "It's too chilly out there for socializing. There was nothing cold about the night whatsoever.

"Ma, I don't know about-"

"Aven Deliah Scott, get in here and bring your man friend!" Cass calls out.

David looks like a deer trapped in headlights, and Aven feels a brief moment of pity.

"Follow me, and say as little as possible." Aven says, walking towards the house. "Trust me the least painful option you have."

David follows behind in silence and Aven can't help but feel sorry for him. A night in the Scott house is enough to traumatize even the strongest soul.

"Welcome to our home, sweetie!" Mrs. Scott exclaims when they get to the door. She shakes David's hand vigorously. "What's your name again?"

"Uh, David Mareiro, ma'am." He manages to spit out.

"Why so formal? Call me Sherri, please!" Aven almost chokes on her own saliva. "Get inside, food's getting cold." David walked inside followed by Zach and Cass who had began their tag team interrogation.

Mrs. Scott pulled Aven's arm back before she entered the foyer. "He's way cuter than that Emilio guy." She whispered.

Aven laughed despite herself. "Is that so, Sherri?"