Flankers

The flank, which was a slight hike, seemed unguarded as Sergeant Hart's men did not encounter any Germans. The machineguns rattled in the background, but none of the crews were aware that there were two British sections moving on their flanks. A section was made of around 8-12 men, led by a corporal. If there was no corporal present, the senior of the two lance corporals would become an 'acting' corporal, a temporary promotion of responsibilities. 4 section had 10 men and 2 section had 12. As they walked with their backs curbed to avoid detection, the new Bren gunner, Private Luke McLafferty, asked his team leader, L/Cpl. Rickie Avraams, "Lance, why don't the tanks move forward instead?"

"Panzerschreck, McLafferty. With a HEAT round like they fired earlier, they could easily blow a tank sky high."

"Even a Sherman, lance corporal?"

"Even a Sherman."

Suddenly the two sections stopped in their steps, as Sergeant Hart lifted an arm to gesture the order. He then whispered for Jimmy to move up next to him, along with a waving gesture. Jimmy went without complaint, his head low under what remained of the walls on his right.

Sergeant Hart said to him, "Take your section and get in there," he gestured to the still standing building amongst the rubble, where three separate machinegun muzzles glared and discharged tracer after tracer.

"Yes, sergeant. Four section, let's move it! Derry! On point!"

Derrick Milburrow, known as ‘Jumper’, quickly replied. “Yes, corporal!” he then raced from his position in the line and onto the front. The men of 4 section quickly followed after that, Jimmy and Rickie second and third respectively behind Derry.

They ran until they met a still standing wall, which was a part of the building where the machinegunners were. The whole section put their backs on the wall and Derry, who was on point, stood right next to the door. On his other side was Jimmy. Both were armed similarly with a Thompson submachinegun. The submachinegun was basically the close quarters weapon. It had a high rate of fire, a sizeable magazine, and very lethal at closer ranges. They would lead the charge inside the building. As machineguns rattled in the background, Jimmy gestured for his men to fix bayonets. Men pulled blades out of their sockets and with a little noise, they locked them into their place on the rifles.

Rickie looked to his back, at Joe. “Don’t poke me with that, Joe.”

“I won’t. Don’t worry.” He said, with a grin.

Jim nodded at Derry; and Derry nodded back. Jim then raised his hand slightly and counted down. Three. Two. One.

He pulled back a couple of steps and rushed towards the door; his foot met the door and forced it off its lock. “Go! Go!” He yelled. Derry jumped in first and what he met in front of him was a German machinegun team with a couple of other soldiers who were shooting down at the British soldiers below them. The machinegun rattled, but soon after, it was replied by another equally loud rattle.

RATATATATATATA! Derry squeezed the trigger, and the men in front of him fell one by one as he emptied his magazine. The rest of his section then followed in and saw the carnage left by Derry. “Nice job, Derry.” Said Joe. “Seems like you gave them quite a beating, huh?” he pat his back and kept moving on.

Jim came in, his Thompson in hand. “Rickie, get on top, clear it up.”

“Moving!” said Rickie. “Joe, on me!”

Rickie and Joe quickly followed orders and went up the stairs. As they went up the stairs, they heard someone over the wooden floor above. “There’s someone.” Said Rickie.