18. SWEET LOVE AND ENERGY

Start from the beginning

"You understand what was done to me right?" I whispered, not turning to look at him. Not wanting to let him see how broken I am, "you understand I was raped repeatedly, that my pack had no choice but to allow it to happen. That they and I had no free will because of an alpha. Because alphas like you are dominant and controlling. Alphas like you steal free will, you yourself hasn't given me a choice in whether I want to be with you or not."

Jace backed away, running a hand through his hair, "you're right about me not giving you a choice. You're my mate, it's against our nature to let our mate go. But I understand that you don't want anything to do with a pack, after what you've been through. Valentina," he murmured my name with so much warmth, "I can run the pack alone, with my beta as I have all this time. You don't have to consider yourself apart of the pack or the Luna. You will have the respect either way as my mate. But you don't have to rule or be controlled ever again."

I held back the urge to hug him. After everything, I should trust Jace. Still trusting someone feels impossible. But it also feels like I'm giving Mason another win, by hurting Jace. I was giving Mason control all over again and Jace deserves better than that.

"Okay," I replied quietly, deciding a compromise between us could be reached.

He hadn't done anything other than fight for me to accept our bond. He'd fought for us despite my constant resistance. I'd triggered the silver witch blood by hurting our bond and us over and over again. As much as a part of me knew he deserved better, I'd snap the neck of any female who attempted to seduce him.

Before I could continue to ponder murdering flirty females, his arms were around me and I was lifted into the air. I laughed as he peppered my face with kisses and the look of pure love in his eyes took my breath away. As a rogue I'd never considered being loved, even after meeting Jace. Love and mates had all been a pretty fairytale of forever when I was younger. Then Mason happened and I felt too broken to deserve a mate.

It was more than just giving up my freedom. It was the thought that my mate deserved someone better, stronger and pure. Not a hybrid who'd triggered her witch blood and repeatedly hurt him.

But he had refused to give up on me and now I refuse to give up on us.

"I'm Makayla," a small, angel faced girl who looked to be around my age or a bit younger said as she approached practically skipping over to Jace and I, "my mother is Daisy.. I wanted to apologize for everything she said to you."

I'd always considered myself a good judge of character and even though Makaylas eyes held a glint of mischief and something wild, I don't believe she is a bad person. Might be a bit stupid to judge someone at first glance, but there was something sweet about her. Something pure, despite having a mother like Daisy. Not to mention how she politely avoided looking at Jace and kept her focus solely on me.

I think I like her.

But me being me, I kept my guard up regardless, "It's okay," I responded warmly, "we can't choose our parents and shouldn't have to take responsibility for them or their actions."

Look at me being all mature.

"Of course," she murmured, clasping her hands together nervously, "I just wanted to say, not everyone agrees with her. We were taught to be wary of silver bloods if there's any others left. But we weren't taught that they were all evil. As witches we respect other witches and we respect power. Which is something you obviously have. Not that without it you'd be weak, you seem very powerful as a wolf regardless. A-and we wouldn't disrespect you for being weak, hell im classed as a Crescent, so I wouldn't judge-"