Chp. 22: Nostalgia and the Opposite (Part 2)

Justin's POV

It was so difficult for me to soak in AJ's whole story. She was dead. But she was brought back to life because of a mission. What was it?

So James.. He saved AJ's life. He ran away with her because she asked him to. Why did he agree with her? Did he like AJ? I don't know. Yes, I admit I'm jealous. I mean, come on. The dude just spent three months with her alone. They could be together right now. That was a possibility. Should I ask AJ? My ego won't allow me to. I'm so confused right now. What about Sam? What will I do now that I know that AJ's alive? Should I leave her or not? Too many questions, so little time. I'm officially the most confused man in the whole universe.

I want to tell her about my feelings. She deserves to know, because we weren't officially over, right? But what about Sam.. I can't just jump out of a relationship. No, not another heartbreak.

"Justin.." AJ utters and I stare into her eyes. "Are you and Sam," she hesitates before continuing. I knew what she was about to say anyways. "A-are you and S-"

I sigh, knowing it's hard for her to finish her question. "Yes." I say quietly. She flashes me a sad smile. I know her too well. She's hurt. I can see it in her eyes. Her pupils constrict while she nods.

"I'm happy for you two." She says sadly. Lies. But she's just too kind, that she's willing to tolerate and give way.

"No, you're not." I snap at her before her eyes shoot me a stare. "Look, AJ, I know we aren't officially over. I just thought you were dead. Sam c—"

"Justin.."

"AJ, please for once in a while, let me finish explaining." I growl at her unexpectedly. My voice became louder which made her nod and sigh. I sigh myself and continue speaking. "Sam. When you were "dead", she was there for me. She comforted me and was my friend. She was the only one I talked to most of the time."

"Do you love her?" She asks with concern, still speaking softly. Our eyes begins to get a little watery.

I look at my hands and play with my fingers before shaking my head. "No, I don't. The only reason why we're an item is because.. I see you in her. I know that's totally mean and I was a jerk for doing that. One day, she started copying you. Like, everything you do, the way you dress, she even sometimes wear blue contacts. I see you in her, and thinking she was close to you, I thought she would be okay; that she would fulfill my needs. But I was wrong. She was totally different. The longer we were together, the more aggressive she's becoming. Thank God you came back because I don't think I could last another day with her. This is the best birthday so far. A bittersweet one."

"Justin.. I love you but what you did was wrong. Sam loves you but you don't. And we can't be together until you break up with her because I don't want to be the other woman." She cups my face in her tiny hands. I hold her hands and slowly let her touch get off of my face.

"I know, but I don't want anymore heartbreaks. I mean, there's no reason for me to break up with her. Or is there? I could present you and tell her you're back! Then she'll have to break up with me." I flash her a weak smile and hoping she gets my glint of hope.

"Justin, what would she think if you did that? She would think that she was just a substitute while I was away or gone." She sighs and rubs my hand.

"Then I guess there's no way out." A tear escapes her eyes and after a few milliseconds, she breaks down in tears. I feel so weak right now, so useless. I don't know what to do. Might as well kill myself so I wouldn't care. But nobody would take care of AJ now that I know she's alive. I couldn't do anything right now, so I just wrap my arms around the sobbing girl and pulled her into an embrace. That's the only thing I know that's right—to hold her. I could keep her here forever, but I can't. I'm handcuffed to a blonde. I kiss her forehead and carress her head, inhaling her scent.