NINETEEN

Two years ago I never would have thought I'd be spending a week in LA, let alone an unspecified amount of time to work on a movie for Netflix. My how a couple years, or even seven months, can completely change your life. How fast everything can fall apart and be put back together to make something even better than it was before. They set me up in an apartment, a nice one, big and open. Wooden floors, white exposed brick, industrial and modern. A small spiral staircase into the loft where my bed is. It's decorated ideally, mid century modern, with lots of indoor plants and an amazing view of West Hollywood. It is my perfect apartment, in every way. The door opens up into the living room with the kitchen on the wall across from it. The island is marble, with Edison lights hanging over it. The lounge room has a mustard yellow leather couch and arm chair, a rug under a low wooden cabinet acting as a coffee table with seventies furniture legs that stick out on an angle- it matches the tv cabinet, tv hung above it on the wall further along from the door. My wardrobe is make shift, down the far end of the apartment near the big windows. Clothes hung in a metal rack with wheels, some folded and put into a stand alone closet, and shoes in a box-seat that has a lid that lifts open to hide them. A large full body mirror is leant against the wall near the rack, in perfect lighting. Even though it isn't intended for it, I'll probably end up doing my make up here. On the other side of the apartment, below the stairs, is the bathroom which is gorgeous with a huge bath. Various hanging ivys and fiddle leaf figs and Chinese money plants, among others, are set around the apartment and livening the industrial space up. Not to mention that everything I could possibly need is present. Bedding, towels, cutlery and plates. The only thing I need to do is go grocery shopping. So of course that is the first thing I do. The apartment complex is great too, the industrial look completely intentional, not at all run down. It's quite fancy, actually, at least in the lobby, elevators and hallways. There's a gym, that I'll have to start using pretty often now that I'm cracking the surface of the entertainment industry, and a pool complete with hot tub, steam room and sauna.

While I'm grocery shopping, I run into none other than
"Liza!"
I squeal, running up and hugging her. She practically jump tackles me
"Hey boo!"
She laughs
"My husband has returned from war!"
She announces, and still doesn't release the hug. When we finally do part, I enquire
"How've you been girl?"
She shrugs, hands on her hips
"Good. Good, yeah. I've been on a, kind of, sabbatical from YouTube for these past few months."
I laugh, rolling my eyes
"I know, I watch you, silly."
She laughs at me, and I ask
"Has it done you good? You feeling better?"
She nods
"Yeah, my head is clearer, I'm less stressed, I'm feeling creative again. I'd say almost ready for my return."
I grin
"That's amazing. So good to hear hun."
She turns the conversation around on me
"What about you? What brings you back to the states- and for how long this time?"
I shrug
"I'm here for an unspecified amount of time, I've got an apartment. You know, just while I film a movie for Netflix!"
She squeals and claps
"You have a part? Oh my gosh, Zaya, that's amazing! Good job girl."
And she hugs me again, stating
"And the best part of all is that we get to keep you for an unspecified amount of time."
I giggle
"Even then I'll probably choose to stay."
She holds me at an arms length, excitement taking over her little body
"We need to celebrate! If you're not too tired. David is having a party tonight, you should come see everyone. They aren't going to believe me when I tell them you're back."
I laugh, accepting
"I'd love to come."
She claps
"Great! I'll slide into your DM's and send you the address."
I hug her again
"See you tonight boo."
"See you tonight. So good to have you back Zay."

After groceries, I spend the afternoon pampering myself. I take a bath, wash my hair, shave, face mask, paint my nails. All before even starting to get ready. I go casual, knowing David's parties aren't anything over the top. Ripped denim mom jeans, a thin white and slightly ripped t-shirt, favourite black patent leather heeled boots and black sailor cap. I leave my hair in its natural curls, and keep my makeup quite natural too. Nude tones, smokey and sultry, contour and a strong brow with a glossy nineties lip. I Uber to David's new house, inside is packed. People I recognise, people I don't. And more than half of them have cameras in hand. I head to the kitchen and get myself a Jack and Coke to start me off for the night. Drink in hand, i begin mixing and mingling with people I have only met once but feel like I've known for a life time. It's like I never left with most of them. Like I stayed these past seven months and saw them everyday, our friendships strong and full grown. I'm dancing with Tana and Corinna again, chatting with Liza and Kristen when I get tired, taking tequila shots with Zane, Heath, Scotty and Toddy. Just like no time had past. It's when I bump into JC and Chelsea that my heart lurches, is he here too?
"Zaya?!"
They ask in surprise, enveloping me in one big group hug. I giggle
"Hey you two, hows my favourite couple?"
"Good, good."
"What are you doing back?!"
Someone jumps on me and asks.
"Fran!"
I squeal, hugging her back. She presses
"Seriously! How are you back here? And why didn't you tell me? How long?"
I laugh, Fran is the one person I have kept in contact with the most since I've been gone. Liza and I would chat here and there, but Fran checked in the most.
"I wanted it to be a surprise, I've got a role in a Netflix movie that is yet to start filming, got my own apartment- here for as long as I need or want to be."
She hugs me again
"Thank God! Your ours now."
I ask JC
"Is you know who here?"
His face remains in a smile, but is obviously forced to stay there. He nods, voice gentle
"Yeah, he's here."
I can't help but get excited despite his weird mood change in reference to the topic. Fran sighs and begins, not letting go of me
"Zay, before you go find him, can we talk first."
I nod
"Yeah, of course, lets go sit down."