Pulling out his pack of cigarettes, he shook one out; he noticed it was the last one in the packet, unfortunately. He made a mental note to buy more tomorrow. Striking it up, he took a long drag, letting the comforting acrid tang of smoke flood his lungs and spill from his nostrils. He was walking out of the school gates, veering right to make his way home - when he noticed two people across the street. A couple, nothing special. Just a young girl and boy, holding hands as they walked on the street opposite, whispering excitedly to each other.

Cynthia! He suddenly thought with a jolt. Their date! He had completely forgotten all about it, being so caught up with Paul and detention. The girl was probably waiting at her house, all dressed up for the date, upset that he had stood her up. Goddamnit, why was he such an idiot??

"Fuckin' hell.." He cursed as he rubbed his temple, picking up the pace. He glanced at his wrists to see if he had a watch, but of course, nothing. Why am I surprised? I never wear a watch. He started to run, guitar case slamming against his back uncomfortably as he discarded his cigarette, needing to get home as soon as possible. He hadn't brought the paper that had her address on it, either - and he had completely forgotten what it was. He continued scrambling through the streets, ignoring stares from the people he ran past as he entered the more crowded part of the city, booking it right to his house; but he slammed into a man when he rounded a corner, almost falling flat on his stomach, but he caught himself in time. The second time he ran into someone that week.

"Watch yourself, prick!" The man glared at him. John was unaffected, of course. Instead, his gaze darted to his wrists, and he lit up when he saw a shiny, golden watch on his left.

"What's the time?" He tapped his fingers against his thighs with an impatience, knowing he really had to get his ass moving if he didn't want to be any later than he already was.The man stared at him for a few seconds, before looking at his watch.

"4:30."

"Cheers! Sorry!" And with that, he took off. Half an hour! Not the worst thing ever. He'd been much later for lots of things. But he knew he'd better hurry so it wouldn't be any worse.

Finally, he made it to Menlove Avenue, completely out of breath and sweat beginning to break out on his forehead, having not run as fast as that for a while, the only other exception being the Bus Escapade. That was more fun than this, though. John leant on his hands for a few seconds, crouching outside the door to catch his breath, before he pulled out his house keys from his pocket. Unlocking the door, he hurried inside, door slamming behind him as he bounded up to his room to get ready.

"What's all this hurry, John?" Mimi's curious voice called from the kitchen. "You came home late."

"Had detention!" He threw back, quickly tossing his guitar on his bed and stripping himself of his school clothes; John muttered to himself all the while. "The hell am I gonna wear..?" "John! For goodnesses' sake, again?"

There were footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Sorry! Promise there'll be no more this week." He opened his wardrobe, scouring the entire selection of clothes for something to wear. "Wait, don't come in! 'm gettin' changed."