Chapter 1: The Unusual Shift

Start from the beginning

"Fuck, where's my radio?" I said to no one in-particular. I noticed it atop of my locker, I reached up and grabbed it as I slid the receiver into its slot on my belt, ran the wire over my shoulder and clipped the mic to my shirt.

"Final touch." I said as I clipped my name badge on, read the words: Senior Constable Chris McGuire.

I placed on my cap and marched out of the men's locker rooms and headed for the Officer's Briefing room on the way there I walked past the cafeteria and saw a long-term friend and colleague of mine Dave, or Constable David Wells. I've known him for five years on the force.

I stopped to see him trying to work the new coffee machine which came in a few days ago, he gave it a smack. "Where's my fucking coffee? Work you useless piece of.."

"See you having a bit of a dilemma there trying to make a coffee, Dave?" I asked him.

"Yeah, damn thing doesn't want to do the simplest thing like make me a coffee." He replied.

I walked into the cafeteria. "I'll help you, I've used these machines before, and they can be stubborn at times."

"First you place your K-cup into the machine, which you already have done, you push that button that selects your cup size, then that button on how hot you want it, then you push enter, then press the brew button." I said.

"You smart fuck, how do you know that?" he asked.

"Comes from owning a coffee machine myself." I said giving him a grin.

"Lucky prick." He countered.

He sipped his hot beverage, "You know where Christie is by any chance?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I ran into her in the office of the west wing. Why is that?"

"Mac said she's looking for me, not really specified why but I'll find out once I see her." I replied.

He gave a cat call and a whistle. "Really, did you just have to go on and do that?" I said.

"Just saying, she prob's has the hots for you." He said sipping his coffee with a nonchalant expression.

"Man, I've been on the force for ten years now and I let alone can't get laid, so the odds of her having the hots for me are slim to zero." I said.

"Yeah, you won't get laid with that kind of attitude." He said

"Do you want to get tasered in the balls?" I asked him.

"Not really, I don't feel like it at the moment, plus it would spoil my coffee." He said giving a laugh.

I smiled and punched him in the shoulder. "Smart ass." I said.

I put my cap back on and headed for the door. "And where do you think you're going, Mr Fancy-car?" he asked.

"Hey my Chrysler 300C would flog your raggedy ass pick-up, I'm going to look for Christie and plus," I took my cap off flipped it between my fingers and landed it back on my head, "Duty calls." I said.

"What're shift you pulling tonight?" he asked.

"Highway Patrol and residential district, you?" I replied.

"Morning shift, you lucky fuck." He said.

I gave him a 'boo-yeah- motion with my hands and he just stuck his finger up at me. "See you in the early hours, Dave, don't fall asleep on me." I said as I headed for the Briefing room.

As I walked down the hall way, marching past other officers who nodded their head at me and smiled I was about to enter the Briefing room when a voice stopped me in my tracks.