Chapter 2

I watched as the other initiates fell onto the net. A few screamed as they jumped onto the net, Kayleen being one of them. Once we were all gathered at the bottom Max spoke again.

"You will be trained seperately. Dauntless born, go with Lydia and Jack" Max nodded towards a tall blonde girl and blonde man stood side by side.

They both smirked at eachother and took off into a run, shouting for the Dauntless born to follow them. We watched them go before Max continued.

"Transfers, you will require more training as you are not used to the Dauntless ways. You will be trained by Eric and Four" he nodded again towards the pierced man who had helped me down from the net and a tanned tall man beside him.

Neither of them showed any emotion as they led the way through the corridors and into the initiate dorm.

"Cosy" Lupei muttered sarcastically as we looked around the room.

"This is where you will be resting either until you finish or fail training" Four stated, walking back towards the door.

"Or until you die" Eric sniggered. I shuddered at his comment. I decided right there that I didn't like this dude all that much.

"What do you mean 'fail training'?" I asked.

"New rules this year initiate. At the end of each stage, the weakest and lowest ranking initiates will be cut from the programme. You will be ranked with the Dauntless born and the bottom 4 from the first stage then 2 from the stages there-after will not be allowed to continue and will be required to leave Dauntless." Four explained.

Eric looked far too pleased with this thought and smirked until an Erudite boy spoke up.

"So what happens if we have to leave Dauntless?" he asked.

Eric's eyes flashed and he moved so fast it was almost inhuman. Suddenly he was in front of the Erudite boy.

"What is your name?" Eric growled.

"Uh..O..Oliver" the Erudite boy stuttered.

"Well O-Oliver" Eric mimiked him sarcastically "the most pathetic weaklings among you will be cut - I mean cut from Dauntless and you certainly can't go running back to mommy and daddy so..I guess that would make you Factionless." He grinned and tilted his head to one side - speaking in a sickly sarcastic tone. He seemed cruel to the bones.

There was a mumble in the group before another Candor transfer spoke up.

"Where do we sleep" he asked.

"In the bunks genius" Four said curtly.

"What about the girls?" Lupei chipped in

"Both boys and girls will be in here..." he stated.

The mumbling continued.

After this we were handed our new clothing - all uniforms of black jeans, vest tops or t-shirts and black jackets along with lace up boots. We were then told to get changed and burn our old clothes.

I sighed slightly as the flames engulfed my yellow and red dress. That was the final part - there was no going back. I was now either Dauntless...or factionless.

We made our way outside the dorm and I stood beside Lupei and Kayleen, tying my long brown wavey hair into a bun.

Four greeted us outside the dorm and marched us in silence down the corridors. We walked through the training room and were instructed to each pick up a rifle from a rack against the far wall.

We all did so and then instantly were on the move again - running up flights of stairs before we reached the roof of the compund.

Lined up against the far side were targets.