Chapter 11: Trust

Chapter 11: Trust

Italy's POV:

I open my eyes to see a rather tired looking Luciano staring back at me through the mirror. I remember, now... I'd gotten the Gate Key from the Annex, and then... the clock...

"Si. I'm glad I was able to restore them for you." Luciano smiles softly. His eyes soften with concern. "How are you holding up?"

I let out a dry scoff. "How do you think?" I sigh, rubbing my still very sore throat. "What Loop are you on?" I ask him, curious.

"Loop ten-thousand and six. Though everybody's already died on my end, so I suppose it'd be more accurate to say that I'll be starting Loop ten-thousand and seven." Luciano sighs and rolls his shoulder with a wince.

"Are you hurt?" I ask him.

"Eh, nothing major or fatal. More bruises and cuts than anything else." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a compact mirror. "I want to try something. Do you have the one I put in your pocket? Did it transfer okay?"

I think for a moment before I reach into my pocket and pull out a similar mirror. I blink in surprise. "How the fuck did you do that?"

"To be honest? No idea. But it seems like it's worked, so that's fine by me." Luciano smirks.

I just sigh. "That doesn't answer the question of how." I cough a bit, surprised to taste blood. "Wish we could speak mentally without having to touch through the mirror."

"Yeah, well. We are technically human in this place. It's a fucking miracle we can communicate at all." He shrugs. "I'll see if I can figure out how to do it again. If you need me to send you anything, let me know, okay? Oh, and please be careful. There's no telling how suspicious the others are of you right now. You did just break a new clock."

"I know." I whisper, trying to save myself some discomfort. "I'll probably head out, now." How the fuck am I supposed to explain my apparent passing out? I don't want to tell them about the looping. Not when we're so close to getting out. But to use my normal methods at this point would be foolish.

My hand flies to my pocket for a moment, before I realize that the Gate Key is gone. Fuck! They must've found it! I quickly check for the Master Key, which I thankfully find still tucked into the hidden zipper pocket of my pants. Thank God. At least they didn't find that.

Oooh~ Tough luck. Love to see how you're gonna sweet-talk your way outta this one!

Yang? Shut up.

Why? I'm a likable guy. I'm starting to think that you don't appreciate my sense of humor.

Gee, what was your first clue? When I ignored you? Or when I broke your fucking nose?

I take a deep breath and let down the spell Luciano put up for me, allowing time to resume its normal movements. I step out of the bathroom silently, allowing the sounds of the other nations to wash over me. Okay, so it seems like someone is fairly close to waking up. I note, peeking around the corner to see who it is.

Japan stirs lightly as I slip back into bed, letting my body relax into the mattress. I let out a half-groan, half-sigh as my aching muscles are finally allowed to rest.

"Itary-kun?" Japan asks, blearily opening his eyes. He blinks a little more rapidly and sits up with a start when he sees me looking back at him. "Ah! You're awake!" He sighs in relief.