Chapter 10: Never Introduce a New Character at the End of a Story

Meanwhile, George was formulating his plan. "Here's what I'll do," he said, Josh glanced up at him, "I've finally decided. I'll take some chloroform-"

"Don't kill people, George." This was the third time he'd had to say it.

"No, no, no, chloroform doesn't kill you, just knocks you out. I made sure to look it up."

"I don't like where this is going..."

"So then I'll take him far away, back up north or something, and hit him on the head really hard to give him amnesia." George was wringing his hands like a comically bad villain. It took everything in Josh not to burst out laughing.

"You got all of this from a TV show, didn't you?"

"I took inspiration."

"Fine, con–" Their conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door. Josh and George exchanged glances, and then Josh got up to open the door.

"I had better not see any nudity when this door–" Alex cut himself off when Josh opened the door. He peered in, curious and vaguely surprised. "Oh. I guess you guys weren't–"

"What the heck, Alex?!" George half laughed, "We're not– I wouldn't–"

"What is it?" Josh saved his friend the embarrassment. "Here to impart your all-knowing wisdom upon us?"

"Something like that, they told me about the situation." Alex leaned against the doorframe, "It's actually funny from an outsider's perspective–"

"Because the real drama of other people is always fun when you're not involved," George grumbled.

"I mean, yeah, it kinda is. Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but it's definitely entertaining."

"You're fine," George waved away Alex's insensitivity. "I know what I'm gonna do. I'll just–"

"Not kill anyone," Josh hurriedly interrupted. George rolled his eyes.

"Fine. Maybe I'll just move out. Get away from Will and Stephen. D'ya have a room open, Josh?"

"Do I what?!" Josh's voice went high. He coughed, trying to save face. It didn't help that his cheeks were burning. "I– I–" He didn't have to answer, interrupted by Alex and George laughing in unison. He wanted to curl up in a ball and die.

Through his laughter, Alex finally knew his suspicions had been confirmed. If only Stephen had taken that damn– wait...

With a swift goodbye to leave the two to their own devices, Alex retreated back into his room, Twitter was still open on one monitor, his crisps were left abandoned on the desk. He got on his computer and pulled up Discord, typing out a very important message to a very naive person.

"I have a bet for you, if you're so inclined to accept."

"What's with the formalities?"

"Shut up"

"What are the terms...?"

"You know George?"

"Yeah"

"And Will too I assume?"

"Heard of him"

"So George has this friend, Josh, and basically my bet is that Josh and George will end up together by the end of the story."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Oh, I guess I should fill you in..."

Alex proceeded to explain everything that Stephen had explained to him, and brought his friend up to speed.

"So how much money then?"

"Just ten pounds"

"Hm... I'll..." there was a long pause. The typing bubbles appeared and disappeared multiple times. Alex waited. "I'll take it. Under one condition."

"What?"

"I want daily updates. You have to fill me in if anything big or small happens."

"Someone enjoys their tea," Alex chuckled as he typed. "Fine. Daily updates."

"Epic. Can't wait for my £10 then."

"Lmao, as if." Alex leaned back, glancing over at his Twitter screen. "Talk to you later, Niall."

"Later."