A Homecoming to Remember

"I never knew you in life... your first life anyway. You died on a battlefield long before my time. Something special brought us together... they called it the "Traveler", and when it arrived, it changed your world forever. It was a Golden Age, and for centuries, humanity thrived... until it didn't. An ancient enemy pursued the Traveler across the universe. Humanity faced extinction. But the Traveler made a choice. Its sacrifice destroyed its ancient enemy, and brought life to the Ghosts. I am a Ghost; more importantly, I'm your Ghost. And you are one of the Traveler's chosen. You are a Guardian. This is your destiny..."

Cayde-6 walked into the Hall of Guardians confidently, Ikora was overhead of him on her datapad and Zavala was at the round-table looking out the window through the horizon at the storm. Zavala turned to the Exo, still keeping his serious manner.

"Ikora, if you tell me this is a practical joke... well it kills me to say it, but I-I would be impressed," Cayde said, looking up to the Warlock.

"Impressing you, Cayde, would be the easiest thing I'll do all day..." she said, with a smirk.

"Let's get serious, people," Zavala instructed, cutting through the conversation.

Cayde turned to the Titan. "Zavala, this is my serious face," the Hunter began, pointing to his own face, "Can't you tell?"

Zavala sighed and looked to Ikora. "Ikora, what have you got?"

Ikora tapped on the tablet. "Someone or something has sabotaged the Skyline Defense Systems." "And comms have been spotty for the last few hours," Cayde cut in, "Every sensor beyond the Wall has gone dark."

"Hmm..." Zavala turned to the screen in the table and consulted the call outs from his Fireteam. "Maybe its just the storm. Maybe its..." he paused for a moment. "What are the sat feeds telling us?"

Ikora typed into the datapad and pulled up the feeds for him. "Nothing."

"Well, that's good, right?" Cayde asked her.

"No! I mean, they're not there!" Ikora cried, "There are no satellites!"

"And that's not good..."

Zavala looked out the window into the storm, a flash of lightning revealing a fleet of Cabal warships heading to the Tower.

"Battle stations! Everyone with me! Now!" Zavala yelled, forming Ward of Dawn around himself and for the civilians in the room in for shelter. The ships opened fire while Cayde activated his Golden Gun and started shooting at the ships; Ikora having to blink him to safety before being crushed by falling debris.

"Hang on!"

Zavala began to lose his ground due to the onslaught of missiles, until the upper deck of the Tower exploded. The armada moved in and a device approached the Traveler along with them.

†††

A ship flew past the mountains, containing a shy and sweet Hunter inside. Carlie, who was flying the ship, tuned into the frequencies of the Tower.

"Tower Approach, this is City Hawk seven-two-three. Anyone home?" Carlie spoke through the comm. Nothing but static blared through. "Repeat, Tower Approach?"

Still nothing.

"Oranx, I cant get any response on any of the channels, even the emergency frequencies." She sighed, taking to her Ghost. She thought for a moment before pulling a lever in the ship, making it go faster.

"Slow down, Carlie," her Ghost said, being jerked by the force.

"Sorry, but I think something is wrong here. Something doesn't feel right. We need to hurry to the Tower."