Avoiding his parents, he went up to his room. He started his normal routine of getting ready for bed. He could hear Nancy talking on the phone to her friend in her room. He rolled his eyes as he walked to the bathroom.

He wasn’t going to count Will’s role. Even though he was supposed to be an impartial dungeon master, he couldn’t bear the thought of Will being counted out of the rest of the campaign. Maybe he could even let Will take back his fireball and cast a protection spell instead.

When he was in his pajamas, ready for bed, he called “good night” down the stairs to his parents.

“Michael, did you clean up the basement?” His mom asked.

Mike groaned. “No, Mom.”

“Well, you had better get down here and do that before you go to bed or your friends won’t be able to come over next Sunday, either.”

Mike dragged his feet down the stairs to the basement and began picking up after his party. The room was musty and smelled like feet, but Mike would have gladly stayed down here for another ten hours with his friends. His supercom crackled from the couch and Mike ran over to pick it up.

“Mike?” A soft voice said.

“Will?” Mike asked. He smiled a little.

“I think I left my vest there, over.”

Mike scanned the room and sure enough, Will’s orange and red vest was on the floor next to his chair. “I see it, over.”

“Okay, could you bring it to me tomorrow?” Will asked, “I’m sorry, over.”

“Of course, Will,” Mike said, “Did you get home alright? Over.” He sat on the couch and closed his eyes.

“Yeah, no one else is home yet though,” said Will, “I got Dustin’s X-Men 134, over.” Will sounded so excited. Mike bit his lip.

“How’d you do that? Over.” Mike said.

“I beat him in a race,” Will said. There was a hint of laughter in his voice. “Anyway, you should go to sleep Mike, over.”

Mike sighed. “I guess so. Goodnight, Will. I’ll see you tomorrow, over.”

“Goodnight, Mike,” Will said. There was a moment of silence before he said, “Over and out.”

Mike sighed again and set his supercom down. He finished cleaning up the basement and then headed upstairs with Will’s vest. The house was dark, his parents must have already gone to sleep. When he got to his room, he set the vest against his backpack so he wouldn’t forget it in the morning.

Laying in bed in the dark, Mike couldn’t stop his brain from running like a hamster on a wheel. As usual, it was all about Will. Since when had he become so obsessed?

He was very aware of the fact that the vest was lying only a few feet away. He knew that Will would be cold tomorrow without it on his bike ride to school. Will would be cold most of the morning because of it too, Mike guessed, conjuring up images of the boy shivering in class. It would be much better if he could have it tonight.

Mike sat up and began to change back into his regular clothes. The ride to Will’s house would be short, and then Will would be warm tomorrow. He would also get to see Will again, without Dustin and Lucas. His heart jumped a little at that, but he ignored it.