38

Mike Wheeler and Eleven being together was not anything people close to them didn’t expect. Anyone could anticipate the kiss they shared for the first time at the school dance, as well as the blooming love that started to grow stronger since this moment.

Although things got complicated later, they were a beautiful couple at the beginning of their relationship. Everyone told them that.

Well... Maybe not everyone. Hopper never liked the idea of his adoptive daughter being the girlfriend of Mike, but it was understandable coming from an old and outdated man like him.

There was another person, hidden between the smiles of everyone, who kept his true feelings toward the romance of his friends to himself. Nobody could ever guess how he really felt seeing the lovebirds kissing in public, and holding hands, and laughing, but even if he tried to stay neutral, his heart cried silently.

Will Byers always thought that he and Mike would be together forever and ever. However, he discovered soon that those dreams and fantasies about sharing a fun, warm and caring life with his best friend was a childish bullshit that would never become true.

In summertime, Mike was always making out with Eleven at her house. They would only see each other when Mike went with him, Max and Lucas to the cinema to watch a movie: just like a double date, but without the “double”, because Will and Mike were both guys and it was weird seeing anything more than a friendship between two dudes.

It wasn’t just weird. It was forbidden. Being openly queer in that small town lost between the woods of Indiana was the same as calling for insults, bullying and physic assaults.

However, that crude reality never stopped Will’s inner desires of wanting something happening between him and his beloved best friend with girlfriend, Mike: everytime they sat a little appart from the real couple, Will would try to approach his hand to Mike’s to “accidentally” touch him. He would look sideways at him, counting in silence all the freckles that covered his face, and every time Mike would notice his constant staring, Will would return his gaze to the big screen, faking innocence one more time to hide his feelings.

His rejected, unnatural, freaky, vicious and perverse homosexual feelings that went beyond friendship or admiration.

Will though he was doing a good job hiding his true self from the others, but his chest hurt when the same Mike Wheeler who stole his heart a long time ago said to him in the middle of a fight that it wasn’t his fault he didn’t like girls. He meant that literally? He knew that his childhood friend wasn’t like the others? Or was he just referring to the hateful act of “growing up and get girlfriends”? At that moment, it wasn’t important the significance he really used in his words, because it was more than enough to make Will Byers flee to the core of the forest, accompanied only by his bicycle and the stars hidden behind the storm.

Castle Byers was his destination. The place where all the things he liked rested, and the shelter where he felt safe.

But it wasn’t like that anymore. Everything was a lie.

Will Byers was convinced that he was the stupidiest person in the world for believing in the words Mike said to him that night.

Going crazy together? That wasn’t possible... Was it?

“Fuck everything... I’m so tired of this.” Will hugged his knees while he sat down on the ground, letting the raindrops sliding down his skin while he tried to keep the dark thougths in his head. “I’ve been an idiot all this entire time. Even after El and Mike started dating, I always had hope inside me... I’m too awful and dirty.”