2.2) POV Character Goals

POV GOAL

A character goal is simply what a character wants. The goals will drive your story forward. If a character doesn't have a goal, then what are they doing? A character without a goal can often come across as boring as there is nothing for the reader to cheer for.

The POV goal is what the POV character wants during the scene.

The external goal is the goal a character shows the world. In a fantasy novel, this might be to find a magic object.

When you know the goal, think about the ways the character could fail at achieving the goal, what obstacles you can put in the character's way, and how the character will feel about failing. This will give you ideas for improving the scene.

The internal goal is private to the character. In the fantasy novel, it might be to prove she is smart enough to find the magic object. Her backstory will slowly show she doesn't think she's smart based on how she was treated, so this gives her depth as she tries to find the object. You know she'll end up being a genius, right?

You may find the POV goal for the scene is the same as the character's goal for the novel, or you may find the character has a different goal for the scene. If this is the case, make sure the scene goal relates to the plot and to the character's goal for the novel.

For example, in a murder mystery, the protagonist's goal for the novel is to solve the murder. In a specific scene, the protagonist's goal may be to uncover a clue, hide something from the antagonist, or something as simple as trying to get a few hours of desperately needed sleep.

To make a character more interesting give them both an internal and an external goal.

Your Mission

Review each scene and list the goal for each POV character. Look for scenes where the POV character doesn't have a goal and see if you can give them one. If not, consider cutting the scene. As a bonus, the list of goals will help you create an outline.