Chapter 15: Ups and downs

"What? No, of course I wasn't spying on Stefan." I blushed under his gaze. "I just wanted to close the window, that's all." I defended myself, making Damon smirk.

         "Calm down, I was just kidding." he said with a smile. "Why are you up at 4 in the morning?" he asked a little concerned.

         "I was thirsty and I really had to come downstairs and drink a glass of water." I replied on a casual tone.

         "Is everything ok?" Stefan asked as he joined us in the living room.

         I couldn't help myself but stare at him for a moment, still shocked about discovering that he knew Dianne and didn't want Damon to find out about it.

         "Yeah, we're cool." Damon replied with a smile. "Let's get you a glass of ice-cold water." he said before putting a hand on my shoulder and leading me to the kitchen.

         Damon poured me a glass of water from the fridge, then hopped up on kitchen counter, looking at me with a smile while I drank up the ice-cold water and poured myself another glass.

         "Wow, you really were thirsty." he smirked before taking a bite from a big red apple.

         "I told you I was." I replied with a smile. "But you didn't tell me what kept you awake until 4 AM." I added curiously.

         "I hung out with some friends." he replied casually.

         "Thought you didn't have any friends." I pointed out.

         "He has some imaginary ones." Stefan replied for him as he entered the kitchen.

         "Look who's talking, the guy who doesn't talk to anyone except his girlfriend." Damon taunted him.

         "At least I have a girlfriend." Stefan smiled sarcastically, making Damon to give him a dark glare.

          "Seriously? You sound like two little kids from the kindergarten who fight over toys. Grow up!" I rolled my eyes at them before walking out of the kitchen.

         None of them followed me as I headed to the stairs and then to my room. I closed the door, threw myself on the bed and stood there with my eyes closed. If at first I struggled to fall asleep, hearing Stefan talking on the phone about Dianne made it even harder. A few moments later I heard a knock at my door and told the person to come on inside.

         "So that's what happened to my rose." Damon smirked while he entered the room and looked at the petals that I previously scattered on my bed.

         "Oh... I was just bored since you took away my book and I didn't have anything else to read." I scoffed.

         "Don't worry, it looks a lot better this way. A little romance can't hurt, right?" he grinned while throwing himself on the bed next to me.

         "Haha, very funny." I mumbled at his gesture before getting off the bed.

         Damon grabbed a pillow and playfully threw it at me, making me burst into laughter. I took the pillow from the ground, getting ready for payback, but before I could hit him back he quickly got off the bed and pulled me close to him, forcing me to let go of the pillow. I struggled to get out of his grasp, but the next moment I tripped over the pillow and I ended up falling on the bed with Damon on top of me. My smile slowly faded and my heart was racing while his piercing blue eyes were staring into mine. I knew that he was about to kiss me, so I quickly broke the silence.