Ch. 5 Brewing Sencha

Start from the beginning

Hah What was going on? This He Changdi was completely different from the male lead in the novel! Had something gone wrong somewhere?

But other than He Changdi, everything else was exactly the same.

She couldn't make any sense of it, so she simply chose to stop thinking about it.

The female lead in the novel had four personal maidservants, all with the word yan in their names (1). Each of them was a beautiful woman, with their own unique special abilities. However, only Xiyan and Fuyan had grown up with the female lead; Jingyan and Mingyan had been awarded by Duchess Ying when she had married out of the estate.

Chu Lian knew everything about the personalities and minds of these four maidservants, as well as their endings.

The looks that Fuyan had tossed He Changdi from time to time hadn't escaped her eyes.

Xiyan also tossed glances, but these were towards her mistress as she was putting away the dowry boxes. Xiyan had been quiet so far, but she did have a few words she wanted to tell Sixth Miss. However, with the other maidservants by her side, it wasn't a good time to speak up.

Sixth Miss, she realized, had rushed to the old matriarchs courtyard early that morning for the tea ceremony. She hadn't eaten much, either. Intent on rectifying this, Xiyan asked, "Third Young Madam, are you hungry? Could you let this servant bring some refreshments over?"

Chu Lian nodded absentmindedly.

Xiyan brought back an exquisite box very quickly. The senior servants in charge of the main kitchen had been very courteous. Upon hearing that it was Third Young Madam who wanted some pastries, they had brought out a fresh batch for Xiyan to bring back.

Xiyan took out plate after plate of sweets from the box. To cheer Sixth Miss up, she even specially teased her and exaggerated her remarks. "Third Young Madam, look at these pastries! We didn't see anything like this back at the Ying Estate! These look so beautiful, why don't you try one?"

Chu Lian looked down and abruptly felt like pouting. For a modern foodie like her, who had eaten everything on both sides of the Yangtze River (2), these square-shaped pumpkin pastries didn't attract her at all. They had just scattered a few peach blossom petals on top, did they really think these pastries were beautiful? Did Xiyan have any sense of aesthetics at all?

The smell of vegetable oil wafted up from the pumpkin pastries, bombarding her nose with the choke-worthy stench of grease.

Chu Lian couldn't help but wonder if the senior servants in charge of the kitchen had been ordered by someone to make life difficult for her.

She tried to recall her memories, but it didn't seem like there had been an event like this in the novel.

Xiyan's expectant gaze was too much for her to bear, so Chu Lian picked up a piece of pumpkin pastry and tasted it.

She couldn't taste any pumpkin at all. Instead, it was like eating a spoonful of sugar, saturating her tongue until all she wanted to do was down a cup of tea and forget it had ever gone into her mouth in the first place.

Chu Lian forced herself to finish one piece, but that was it. She had completely lost the will to pick up another.

The House of Count Jingan was an aristocratic family at the very least; did they really eat these kinds of pastries at home?

Chu Lian was starting to feel sick from the obnoxious sweetness, so she didn't even look at the tea that Fuyan had just poured and simply drank it in one gulp.

However, the second the tea hit her tongue, Chu Lians eyes widened and she spat it all out, completely discarding her image.

Her personal maidservants were horrified, they thought that something had happened to Chu Lian.