Chapter 67

Yanda hummed as she reset Kelton's hair. He sat on the bed in silence as she worked, undoing old braids and reweaving as if it were her favorite thing. She had woken him early to make sure he washed, and there was time for her fiddling. Kelton closed his eyes and enjoyed the feeling of her skin against his. Yanda had no reservations against touching. There were times when her softer parts lay against him as if it were the most normal of actions. It wasn't, yet his mind refused to alter his position and undo the contact.

"Juno liked it when I washed her hair," Kelton said once Yanda finished. "Mayhap, I can wash yours."

"Juno?" Yanda said, her eyes forming a question while mispronouncing the word. She continued restating Juno's name a few more times. There was no anger, just confusion.

"Aye, I talk of her a lot," Kelton said. "She is hard to explain, made more so by our lack of words." He reached out and stroked Yanda's hair. "I only mentioned her in passing. She liked her hair washed and mayhap you would as well. Is it stupid to think all women like the same things?"

"Juno - yeacum dido?" Yanda asked.

"Dido?" Kelton asked, shrugging his shoulders. Yanda lifted her arms outward, palms up and looked toward the ceiling. He struggled to put meaning to the word. Female - something. Reverence maybe.

"Vasco," Yanda said with a quick nod of her head.

"Aye, Vasco," Kelton agreed. They would need a translator for that word. Yanda smiled and kissed his forehead before pulling him up from the bed. They dressed, then Yanda pointed toward the shelf and the disheveled washing cloths as well as some errant spilled water. Kelton sighed and cleaned it up. She was queen of his hair and the room.

-----

"I'll be traveling with you, sir," Filgot insisted. Zello rolled his eyes.

"It is a simple thing, Filgot. We travel to a farm, fill our wagons, and return before the sun goes down. Two of your men will be fine," Zello insisted.

"Forgive me, sir, but your father has tasked me with security. My men carry blades, and you travel with one that knows them too well. I feel it wise to have one of those swords on my belt." Filgot looked at Kelton as if he were expecting him to object.

"You have no trust, Filgot." Zello raised his hands in surrender. "As you wish. It will be a long journey with you glaring like a wolf ready to pounce. "

"Is traveling unsafe where we are going?" Kelton asked Filgot. He decided days before to ignore the man's mistrust and stuck to that plan. It was probably better if Filgot did join them. More time to gain his trust.

"Rarely," Filgot replied. "The King's men aren't as visible in the countryside. It is wise to bring some protection to prevent looking like an easy target." His eyes narrowed at Kelton. "It is my job to make sure nothing unexpected happens."

"My vow stands with you," Kelton said.

"And that is enough of that," Zello injected. "He won't touch a blade, and you'll be there to make sure. Is there anything else, Filgot?"

"Nay, sir. I am satisfied."

"Good, then we can get started before the day ends." Zello trudged off signaling for Kelton to follow. "He means nothing by it. Spends too much time in the taverns is all. Father would let him go except..."

"He cares about the family," Kelton finished.

"Aye," Zello said, adding a smile. "And he's so big. Many an argument has been prevented with him at my side."

"I take no offense, nor think worse of him for it." Kelton looked around at the peaceful place he had begun to think of as home. "It must be hard for Filgot. A warrior's heart and no one to fight. Mayhap, I should lean towards a few blades and give him something to do." Zello laughed.