Line Eight

‘I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.’

                                                                    ***

I flopped down on my bed, the events of the day weighing me down. For the record, I should be happy that Luke and Adam are now okay, but for some reason, I’m scared.

My feelings were confirmed when a knock on the door interrupted my intense stare game with the ceiling. I practically crawled out of bed and opened it only to see a really annoyed Luke looking down at my sitting form on the floor.

“Hi, can’t find your room?” I asked, rubbing my eyes in an effort to look tired and drowsy in order to make my situation more believable. He just narrowed his eyes at me.

“It’s just next door if you’re really lost.”

“I know that,” he huffed, “Mom said you suddenly had colds?”

My eyes widened, “Colds?” Mom! I told you I was asleep! Why would anyone confuse sleeping from having colds? This doesn’t make sense! I thought, but I soon regained composure and started sniffing to prove his point, “Y-Yeah,” I sniffed, “I don’t know how I got it, though.”

“Really, now?” Luke crouched next to me, examining me carefully. I nodded and wiped my nose conspicuously.

His eyes wandered to my room behind me and it stopped at a certain corner. I followed his gaze and saw myself staring at the pile of discarded clothing I wore earlier.

Shit.

“Listen, thank you for going out of your way to check on me, but I really should just sleep this out—”

“Were you at Joecel’s today?” I stopped, looking at him. He stared at me, his eyes a menacing hazel hue.

“What?” I spluttered out.

Please don’t get caught. Please don’t get caught.

“Were you or were you not at Joecel’s today?” he repeated slowly, each word piercing through me like a knife. I struggled to keep my clueless façade on, because I know that one flinch will surely give me away. He narrowed his eyes at me.

“What are you talking about? I don’t even know where that is,” but he just raised his eyebrow, challenging me, “Seriously, what are you talking about?”

“What I’m talking about,” he started, his eyes not leaving mine as he sat down on the floor, “Is why you have to lie to me.”

I stared at him, my mouth agape, “Luke, I’m not lying! I don’t know what you’re on about but I swear I was just sleeping when you suddenly pounded into my door like a madman!” of course, I made sure to cross my fingers behind me.

It must have been believable enough because a flash of doubt crossed his face before disappearing instantly, “What’s with the clothes, then?” he gestured to the litter on the floor.

I snorted, “Wow, you’re kidding. Since when did my laundry bother you so much?”

He glared at me, his ears all red, “You know what, whatever,” he raised his hands in surrender and stood up, “Nice talking to you, Gen. Go drink some medicine.”

I laughed at his subtle way of caring and stood up, “Will do. Thanks for dropping by,” I said and closed the door.

I leaned on it, suddenly suffering from a headache. I shouldn’t have treated him that way but I know he will skewer me if I told him the truth, and I’m not exaggerating. Luke is that violent.