Ode to Eileithyia

Disclaimer: This story utilises characters, situations and premises that are copyright Masashi Kishimoto, Shueisha, Shonen Jump and Viz media. No infringement on their respective copyrights pertaining to episodes, novelisations, comics or short stories is intended by KuriQuinn in any way, shape or form. This fan-oriented story is written solely for the author's own amusement and the entertainment of the readers. It is not for profit. Any resemblance to real organizations, institutions, products or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All plot and Original Characters except for those introduced in the canon books, manga, video games, novelizations and anime, are the sole creation of KuriQuinn. (© KuriQuinn 2016- )

Author's Note : This isn't exactly new, but it was only posted on tumblr. Since tumblr is now doing stupid things and I'm worried I might lose my stuff because their system for flagging inappropriate content is complete shite, I'm backing up everything. Ao3 and Quotev will have my NSFW stuff, as well as the Dreamwidth account I've linked to tumblr. Everything else will be uploaded here, ao3 and wattpad. This takes place in the Samsara series.

Warning: You should probably read Penthesilea before reading this.

_____

綱手

Sakura screams, a low, feral wail that is almost unearthly. If Tsunade weren't looking at her, she would think it was coming from a wounded animal.

Her apprentice lies back on her pallet, red stain blossoming underneath her and seeping into the floor despite the rags and padding beneath her. sweat soaks through her hair and down her back, leaving dark stains on the pillow propped up behind her. Her fists are clenched, eyes huge with fright and pain as she stares up at them, pleading.

As another contraction wracks her body, the room fills with another low howl; her stomach shudders and quivers, the child inside fighting to come out, her body trying to expel it, but neither effort coming to fruition.

Tsunade exchanges a grim look with Shizune and Karin. "How long has she been like this?"

"An hour before we sent for you," Shizune said. "

"She wouldn't let us before, but she's in too much pain right now to stop us," Karin grumbles, as if this was a personal affront to her. "The hormones and adrenaline have completely altered her strength. Control isn't even a possibility right now. One moment she's strong as an ox, the next week as a kitten."

"If we don't help her, crushing someone's hand will the least of our problems," Shizune agrees. "She might accidentally crush the baby."

"She's ready to give birth, and the baby's ready to come out. Her contractions are about forty seconds apart," Karin says. "But she won't push."

"What?" Tsunade demands. She strides forward and crouches over her apprentice and heir. "What's this nonsense, Sakura. You need to push."

"I'm sorry...shishou...I can't..." Sakura shakes her head, a shot of determination lancing through her pained expression.

"Of course you can...go on, there's a good girl," Tsunade says, putting a hand on her forehead. "It will be alright, Sakura. Just push..."

"N...no!"

She has that same stubborn look as she did when she was a child, newly orphaned and demanding Tsunade train her. Even in the throws of agony, Tsunade knows there's no point arguing with her. It's up to her to make a decision.

"That baby is going to go into distress," she says. "Sakura, you know this."

"She's not hearing us," Karin points out. "Either she doesn't want to or she's in too much pain. If we she doesn't come to her senses, we'll have no choice but to knock her out and do a caesarean."