6. Pureheart the Powerful

Start from the beginning

"No, no. I haven't called her. I will be right back", he mumbled and got up to talk to his mom.

After Archie left there was a growing awkwardness coming from my brother and Alice. "What?", Jug asked. 

"Mom, do not start this", Betty warned and I could only believe it was about their little rendezvous. 

"Start what?", I asked. "Of course, I can't help but wonder if your Southside associates had anything to do with what happened", Alice asked my brother. "Hey, Lou is also invited in the Serpents", Jug said throwing me under the bus with him. 

"Jug", "Lou? Really?", Alice asked kinda hurt. "Yeah, I had a rough day", I mumbled. "Still unbelievable. At least you can't accuse our father. He is in jail", Jughead snapped 

"oh my god, I can't handle this", Veronica said sitting back in her chair. 

*

About an hour passed and we were all sitting together just waiting. I haven't heard anything from Reggie last night and I was really considering a break-up. 

"Sherrif", Archie said and we all quickly stood up as the Sheriff walked up to us all. "How's your dad doing?", he asked. 

"he's in surgery", Betty answered for Archie. "I know this is a hell of a time for you. Perhaps, we could go somewhere to talk", he smiled at Archie.

"Is it cool if I tag along?", Jughead asked and I mentally slapped him. "If you don't mind-", Sherrif Keller started to insist but was cut off by Archie. "That would be great". 

The three went away to talk and I sat down again. Still nothing form Reggie, you might think he would be worried after what happened yesterday but of course, he wasn't. 

So I waited for what felt like decades for anything, for a nurse to tell us Fred was fine, for Reggie to at least come here or for Jughead to annoy me.

Soon Jug returned and talked to Kevin and Betty for a while, I wasn't interested in joining in on their conversation so I just stayed in my seat and kept counting the bricks in the wall.

"Lou come on we have business to handle", Jughead said and pulled me up from my seat. "What business?", I asked confused. "Serpent business now come on". 

The both of us walked out and behind the hospital, where a man I knew was called Tallboy stood along with a younger Serpent, I remembered from yesterday. 

"Got nervous when you said to meet you two at the hospital", Tallboy muttered getting off his motorcycle. 

"We were wondering about when you said the Serpents had our backs. Does that extend to a guy who's like my brother? And a man who's like a second father to not only me but to her as well?", Jughead asked. 

"What do you need?", the Serpent asked. "Fred, my buddy's dad, was shot during a robbery at Pop's", Jughead explained. "The guy was in a black hood", I went on. 

"Serpents don't wear masks", the younger Serpent insisted. "You, I get it. But some Serpents were working for Fred Andrews when he decided to let them go. Maybe someone took it personally? You guys know every hidey-hole in town", I told them.

"Someone has to have heard about what went down", Jughead finished. "All right. We'll knock some heads, let you know", Tallboy said and pattened Jugheads shoulder and gave me a smile. 

*

We got back from our little meeting and sat down with Betty and Kevin again. When I looked up from my seat I saw a girl dressed in a white dress with long red hair. "Oh my god", I muttered and quickly got off my seat with Kevin following me.