Chapter 19 ~ Education

"Have you got lunch packed, Harry?" Lily yelled upstairs to her son. James who was present in the room took one look at his son, and rolled his eyes laughing. Every since Marcus was born, Lily felt it was right to return to work, so she began training to become a healer, and was in the middle of reaching her destination. In doing so, she convinced James to return to work as an Auror, to return to ordinary life. Well as ordinary as a magical family who had escaped death multiple times could.

A year had passed since Marcus was born.

Harry, had began at the local preschool in Godricks Hollow, where all his neighbours had attended. Lily was determined for both her children to live a normal natural life, so Daisy was attending a nursery, right next to the preschool. Slowly, although surely, they were beginning to return to normal life. As normal as they could .

A reassuring thought, that her children would no longer live in the age of darkness, brought warmth to not only her heart, but also James' heart.

The simple reassurance that their children could be children, without a prophecy dangling above their heads.  The most simple things, can sometimes mean the most, especially when concerning those you love.

*****

"MAMMY! MAMMY! I GOT A GOLD STAR!" Harry screamed running through the door. "A gold star mammy. A real one! Daddy said it fell from the sky!"

Laughs erupted from both James and Lily's mouth. The twinkle in her eye returned, James observed; it reminded him of the time they were in Hogwarts, carefree students.

Routine.

Everyday without fail Lily would return home, and collect Daisy along the way and spend some mummy daughter time for a few hours before James and Harry returned home. Lily and James were able to make shifts work, and were flexible. If Lily needed to stay on later, then James would come home earlier, or they'd get Marlene to take care of their children.

Personally, they felt they couldn't trust anyone else to mind their children. After being betrayed, they didn't mingle to much with others; they preferred to keep to themselves.

From the outside, they looked like the perfect idea of a family. The picture was beautiful, and the frame kept them closer. Although, if you glance closer, and concentrate on the little details, you would see the strain of worry in both parents face. The worry hidden in their eyes was still evident. The cracks from stress present most certainly. Nevertheless, the happiness and love worked effortlessly to patch the imperfections.

Each day, the parents awoke with fear in their minds and went to sleep still with that recurring thought lingering on their mind.

Was this abnormal? Was this a peculiar thing? Was this something that those around them should be worried about?

No. No. No.

It was absolutely normal - well as normal as something can be. Parents worry; it's a natural experience.

*****
"James!"

"What Lily Flower?"

"Did I or did I not tell you to put away the butter. Not all of us like warm butter. Is that so hard to comprehend?" Shouted an aggressive Lily.

James who was playing with Daisy and Harry with Lego looked up from his creation and rolled his eyes, earning a laugh and a stare from his children. Harry was turning more and more into James as the days progressed, much to Lily's dismay. "No James. I don't want my child to be a toe-rag," she huffed.

"Well you married me," was always his response.

Harry mimicked his father earning a giggle from his sister lying on her belly. "Traitor," James whispered to his daughter as he got up and walked to the door. "Lily, darling, I did place away the butter. That's an old tub."

Lily knew she shouldn't arise to the challenge, although nevertheless she advanced up the stairs. "James I am not an idiot. The tub is still half full!"

James opened the door wider accepting the challenging before placing a finger to his lips, signalling to Harry to be quiet. "Accio butter," he whispered softly. A butter tub soared over Lily's head, her eyes just missing it. Harry caught the butter for his father, using some skills Sirius had taught him and whispered a spell once more to harden it. All the while Lily advanced on the stairs.

A hallway away.

"Lily honey, do you think it may be your eyes playing tricks on you again?" James question, empathising the "tricks," while suppressing a laugh.

Lily arrived at the top of the hallway; Harry at this time peaked his head through the doorway, holding Daisy, and swore he saw fumes exiting his mother's head, almost like a volcano, returning back to active.

Harry knew the plan.

Simple.

He handed Daisy to his dad and went running as fast as a three year old could and jumped into his mother's arms. Perfect, James thought. She's distracted. He whispered another spell once more and the butter flew from the room in an opposite direction, down the other set of stairs and returned to the fridge.

"James. Come down with me now and see your mistake." The confidence radiated. James chuckled, this was just adding to the anticipation.

If Lily could be described that day, it would be simple. A storm appeared on the stairs, accompanied by violent gust of winds, followed closely by a smug warm gentle breeze known as James Potter. A smile as bright as the sand glistening in the warm sunlight. Memories of Hogwarts flooded her mind; images of herself perched on the couch, only to turn slightly and  see him on the tops of the stairs. Unaware to Lily, a smile slipped onto her face.

"Okay, Lily Flower," James jogged to the end of the hallway and kissed Lily on her forehead. Frowning, Lily took Daisy from his arms and walked down towards the kitchen.

Lily entered the kitchen first, positive she would win. Win what, you wonder? Bragging rights. Something they declared years ago; a tradition.

"Here it is James, the tub of butter as you may see, with the lid - wait what?" screeched Lily.

James bent down to the level of the table. Smirking, he looked up at a bamboozled Lily. "The lid on my dear."

Immediately, tears spilled from Lily's eyes.

Astounded James straightened up and engulfed Lily in a hug. "Let if out Lily Flower," he whispered into her hair repeatedly. He directed them to the nearest couch and nested into it. Harry jumped into their laps, carefully avoiding Daisy.

"Its Petunia," she managed to utter. She wants to visit, as its near our parents anniversary. A mark of respect. All they ever wanted in the end was for us to get on. I-I just cant believe... I just can't believe a year has went by so quickly." Disbelief filled her voice.

James recalled those last events concerning her. Last year, due to the incident they were forbidden to go, and the year before hadn't been so pretty either.

James reached forward and wrapped his arms around his vulnerable wife, comforting her. Reassuring her.

After half an hour James got up to begin marking food, after assuming Lily was asleep. "Sleep well Lily Flower," he whispered into her ear.

"Don't call me Lily Flower," she whispered softly.