TRUST

"Are you sure?" asked Dumbledore. "I could be Secret Keeper too, you know."

"I want Sirius to be our Secret Keeper," said James obstinately.

"It's good to trust your friends. But now that we know for sure that there is a spy among them, it will be unwise to make any of them your Keeper," said Dumbledore calmly.

His logic was flawless.

"You know, I think Professor Dumbledore is right," said Lily.

"No! I mean, yes, sir, we appreciate your concern. But Sirius would die before betraying us. I know he would," said James with utmost conviction.

"Very well, then," said Dumbledore. "It's already end of August. I suggest you perform the spell shortly."

"And sir," said James. "I know it is believed that there is a spy amongst us. But it is not Sirius. Or Remus or Peter either. They're my best friends. None of them would ever do anything to hurt us."

As Dumbledore went away, he thought sadly that James Potter wasn't the first person to be betrayed by a best friend, and he wouldn't be the last.

--------------------

"I called you guys here for a reason," said James to his three best friends.

"Quit the drama, mate," said Sirius, cutting short James' planned speech.

James glared at his best friend for a moment, and then said, "Lily and I have decided that we'll perform the Fidelius Charm this week. Sirius, we thought we'll have you as our Secret Keeper."

"I'll do it," said Sirius, relieved. He had had a nagging fear that they would take Remus, and then Remus would do away with them.

James and Lily smiled. Then James turned to Remus and Peter.

"Then we will not see you two for a long time," he said.

"We'll miss you," said Peter, sadly.

"Hey, don't worry. This war will soon be over. Then we'll meet again," said Remus, trying to sound cheerful.

That evening, they all knew that it was the last evening the Marauders were spending together for a long time.

After dinner, Peter left first. Then Remus got up to leave.

"Bye, James. Bye, Sirius!" he said.

"Bye!" said James cheerfully. Sirius only gave Remus a curt nod.

James saw Remus' shoulders slump as his face fell. He walked out of the room slowly. James ran after him into the hallway.

"Moony!"

Remus turned to look at him, his brown eyes a little teary.

"Remus," began James, but then he stopped, not knowing what to say.

"James?" said Remus. James noticed that Remus' face was white and tired and miserable. It had been a full moon last night, he remembered.

"I trust you, Moony. You know that?"

Remus nodded, blinking back tears.

"I know you will never-you're not the-" James stopped and stepped forward and hugged his friend. Remus hugged James back, shaking slightly.

"I've never seen a friend more loyal than you, Remus. Really," said James sincerely.

"Thanks," whispered Remus. "I have never known a better friend either." Remus smiled at James, his brown eyes crinkling, and James felt a sudden upsurge of affection for his friend.

Remus waved at James and Apparated away.

James went back to the living room. Then he confronted his best friend.

"It's horrible and cruel, what you're doing, Padfoot!' snapped James. "I'd have thought, seeing that Remus has been our friend for so long..."

"I know, James," said Sirius wearily. "But it has got to be Remus. Peter can't be, he's too weak. Remus was always smart. And he's a-"

"If you dare to discriminate Remus because of what he is," shouted James. "I'll hex you until you can't speak!"

"Calm down, Prongs...look at it logically..."

"What logic? WHAT LOGIC?" screamed James. "IT COULD BE ANY OF US! IT COULD BE YOU!"

There was a deathly silence as James realized what he had said.

"Padfoot-" he began.

"James," said Sirius quietly. "You don't-you don't think it's me?"

"No-no, of course not!" said James desperately.

"Half the Order think I'm the spy," said Sirius, bitterly. "Because of my last name...if you think so too..."

"I don't. Believe me, Sirius, I don't. You are my brother, Padfoot. You know I trust you more than anyone else in the world." James touched Sirius' shoulder. "I trust you more than Lily and Dumbledore. Tell me you believe me-"

"Dumbledore warned you against making me your Secret Keeper, didn't he?"

"Yes. But it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what any of them think. You will be our Secret Keeper."

Sirius stared at James silently.

"Tell me that you believe me, Padfoot," said James again.

"Prongs-I do believe you," said Sirius.

"Let them think what they want," said James. "We don't care!"

"James," Sirius said suddenly. "I promise I won't let anything happen to you." Sirius steeled with determination. "You will come out of the war safely," he said fiercely.

"So will you-so will you," said James hoarsely.

Both of them knew how much it meant to the other that he should come out of the war alive.

James suddenly remembered Boggart Swamp, and thought of how he would feel if something happened to Sirius, and tears came to his eyes. He would never let anything happen to his best friend...never...

"You are crying," said Sirius in disgust.

James blinked back his tears, and looked at Sirius. "You will always be my best mate, Sirius," he said, his voice a little bit broken.

"I know," said Sirius unemotionally. But when he Apparated away, his eyes felt teary too.