WRONG TECHNIQUE

Right before Christmas, there was another Hogsmeade visit.

"Evans, will you go out with me—just this one time?" asked James hopefully, going across to Lily in the common room.

Lily opened her mouth to retort something furiously.

"You needn't mention that, James," said Sirius incorrigibly. "One time will be enough for her..."

James whirled around and glared at Sirius so furiously that Remus and Peter snorted with laughter. Within moments, all the Marauders—except James, of course—were roaring with laughter for no reason at all.

"Get lost—all of you," said Lily through gritted teeth.

James went back to his seat and crossed his arms, waiting for his friends to stop laughing.

"Oh dear," gasped Remus, when he was able to speak. "We're going about this in the wrong way altogether. Now Lily will think that James is asking her out as a joke."

"Did I ask you to help me?" asked James in a voice of controlled anger.

"We had to, old boy," said Sirius. "You are just useless in these stuff."

"Sirius Black—if you say one word the next time I speak to Lily—I'll—I'll—"

"Kill me? Then you'll not get a brilliant gift for Christmas, James. Are you willing to risk that?"

"Yes!"

Sirius sighed deeply.

--------------------

This year too, James and Sirius spent the Christmas in the former's house.

James' parents treated Sirius just like a second son, and Sirius began to think that maybe he had left behind his last name after all.