Love, Sirius."

Lily's smile widened as she read Sirius' letter.

"What does he say?" asked James.

"Wishing me for my birthday, nothing else," said Lily.

"He hasn't been here to visit us so long," said James moodily.

"Well, you know he took Marlene's death very hard," said Lily gently.

James got up to sit beside his wife and put his arm around her. He could only imagine how he would feel if anything happened to Lily, and he wished Sirius didn't have to go through losing the girl he loved.

--------------------

A lot of letters went to and fro between Lily, Sirius, Remus and Peter. James guessed that Lily was up to something, but he couldn't get anything out of her.

In the evening before James' birthday, Remus sent Lily a letter saying that he wouldn't be able to attend the party, and that he was really sorry.

Lily was sorry as well, but there was a lot to do that day. She was glad when James went in for an early night.

Lily pretended to ignore James' birthday all through the morning. Nearing noon, Peter and Sirius arrived, laden with gifts and full of good wishes.

James was glad that someone remembered his birthday. As he was laughing with Sirius and Peter, Lily came into the room with her gift too.

"I thought you had forgotten!" said James.

"Is that likely to happen?" asked Lily, grinning.

"Where's Remus?" asked James.

"He can't come. He didn't give a reason...maybe it's work for the Order," said Lily.

In the evening, all of their closest friends arrived-Frank, Alice, Neville, Hestia, Hagrid, Moody.

"When did you plan all this?" asked James in amazement.

"We have our ways," said Lily and Sirius together, wearing identical grins. James could hardly believe that there was a time when he was at his wits' end trying to get his best friend and girlfriend get on civilly.

Harry was pleased to have visitors too. He zoomed along on his broomstick, showing off his skills to Neville, who lost his ordinary tearful look which was replaced by one of amazement. Lily and Alice, meeting for the first time since Marlene's death, sat together, rather subdued, because they had never imagined that their trio would be broken.

Hagrid doted on Harry. "He's getting to look just like yeh, James. Mebbe he'll be Head Boy and Quidditch captain one day."

It was a highly successful party.

--------------------

In the next Order meeting, Sirius took Remus aside and asked, "Why didn't you come on Prongs' birthday?"

Remus averted his eyes. "Work for the Order."

"What work?" asked Sirius suspiciously.

Remus resented his tone. "Really, Padfoot, do I have to tell you about every-"

"Ok, ok, just asking," said Sirius hastily.

--------------------

In April, Sirius noticed that Remus disappeared for two straight stretches. He couldn't shake off an uncomfortable feeling about this.

One night, he lay awake, wondering what was bothering him.

There was a spy in the Order.

Someone close to the Potters was passing on information about them to Voldemort.

Voldemort had recruited werewolves.

Remus kept disappearing for long stretches without giving a reason.

Sirius suddenly sat up bolt upright, horror-struck at what he was thinking.

Not Remus...it couldn't be Remus. Remus was one of the nicest persons he knew. He wasn't like other werewolves at all.

But after all...who else could it be? It certainly wasn't Peter, the very idea was ludicrous. It wasn't him, and other members of the Order weren't all that close to James and Lily.

Which left...only Remus.

Sirius felt sick. He wished desperately that it was anyone-anyone but Remus.

--------------------

On the morning after May's full moon, Sirius did not go to visit Remus. Remus began to notice that Sirius' behavior towards him was becoming distinctly cool during Order meetings and they did not meet on other days, except when they met by chance in Godric Hollow.

Both Sirius and Remus were extremely fond of Harry. Shortly after Harry was born, they had had an argument about who would be Harry's favourite uncle, a battle which Remus considered won by himself as Harry refused to call Sirius 'Uncle' at all, calling him 'Pa'foo' while he called Remus 'Unc'oo Moo'ey'.

James and Lily sent them letters every time Harry leant a new word or pulled off something extraordinary with his broom, and they tried to visit him shortly. Harry was not very fond of Peter, however, maybe because the latter seemed perpetually nervous in front of him.

Sirius found it hard to believe that Remus would work against James and Harry, but as Hagrid had once said, there was nothing a wizard would stop at when he went over to the Dark side.