Chapter Twelve

P.O.V

Thomas Sanders

Max shut herself up in her room for the rest of the day yesterday. I felt kinda of bad for not checking on her until dinner, but I had the feeling she wanted to be alone for a bit. To my understanding, flashbacks are terrifying. I'm hoping today she doesn't have another one. She had two yesterday and the second one was worse than the first. Max doesn't even seem to know what to do herself, she keeps saying its like she back there, reliving what happened.

I sigh and rub my face before getting out of bed and starting to get ready. I change my cloths, wash my face, and brush my teeth before heading downstairs and into the kitchen. Wow, I slept in pretty late, its already 11:25. Well a little brunch never hurt anyone.

I whip up some eggs and bacon, only enough for two seeing as Joan is already off to work. After setting the food on the table I head back upstairs to see if Max is awake. After making it up the stairs and to Max's do I here a noise coming from inside. It's almost like a strange humming or vibrating, what seems like it would come from an imitation of a airplane. Instead of knocking I push open the door just enough to peek in.

Max is sitting on her knees playing with a toy airplane, she must have had it in the bottom of the trunk she brought with her. It's not the plane that is strange though, I get having little trinkets that are from your childhood. It's the fact that she is waving it dramatically in front of herself and making plane noise like a little kid. I knock on the door, not really knowing what else to do, and Max's eyes dart to the door.

"Max?" I question unsure of if she will be embarrassed of her actions.

"I'm not Max, I'm Joshua!" She says without missing a beat. Joshua? What is she talking about?

"Max what do you mean? What's going on?" I ask confused.

Max huffs and puts down the plane before. Turning to me. She stops and thinks for a bit before standing up and walking toward me, then past me, and out the door. She starts walking down the stairs before I can call after her.

"Wait! What do you mean? Where are you going? Max  what are you taking about, whose Joshua." I ask trying to make sense of the situation.

"I'm hungry, so I'm getting food, and I'm Joshua." She says again in a tone that seems to tell me that I should know that.

What is going on? Why is Max not Max anymore? And who is Joshua? I absently dial Joan's number and wait for him to pick up.

"Joan, I need you to come home. Something's happened to Max."

===============

I'm trying.

-Leo🌸