prologue .

Reign sat in her cell doing what she did every night, stare at the wall. She couldn't sleep. Being where she was, she never slept & probably never would as long as she was in there.

She knew what she did was wrong & being in prison was just her punishment. So, she felt that if insomnia was apart of the punishment, then she would just have to deal with it.

"Jackson, You're coming with us!" A voice boomed.

She looked up to see two guards outside her cell. One of them unlocked the door & slide it open.

Reign rose to her feet & held out her arms, allowing them to place hand cuffs on her. Each guard grabbed one of her arms & led her down the walkway.

They walked a distance, before stopping in the very front of the facility. They were in the part were all the officers worked. Reign was confused. If she was an inmate, then why would she need to even come near this part of the facility?

"Sit here," One of the officers spoke, as they entered an interrogation room. They unlocked the cuffs, allowing her arms to be free. She sat down.

"Don't try anything stupid either or we'll have to bust your ass," The other officer laughed.

She mentally rolled her eyes & slouched down in her seat. She still was very confused.

The door swung open & in walked two detectives. One of them being the one that chased Reign for 10 years & one of them being the chief. Reign stared at the both of them with no emotion.

The chief took her place in the corner. She leaned against the wall & began to stare at Reign. Reign was uncomfortable with the way she was staring at her, but she didn't show it.

The detective took her place across the table from Reign

The detective took her place across the table from Reign. She sat down & smiled at her.

"Hi Reign

"Hi Reign. I'm Detective Anderson & that's Chief Patenburg," She introduced herself & the chief, who was still staring into Reign's soul.

Reign stayed silent & just stared back at her. She didn't have anything to say. She just wanted to know her reasoning for being there.

Detective Anderson cleared her throat, "It's really nice to meet you. You probably think you're in trouble, but you're not. I would actually like to have your opinion on something ... If you don't mind," She chuckled.

Reign sighed, "I don't mind," She said lowly. It wasn't like she had anything else to do.

"Okay then," Detective Anderson smiled. She leaned down beside her & pulled up a envelope. She pulled out a bank deposit slip & slid it to Reign. "Examine this & tell me what you think."

Reign held the slip in her hand & stared at it with the same blank expression. She flipped it over before speaking, "Well, it's definitely a fake."

"You can still see the marks from the magnetic ink printer. It's much heavier & stiffer than a real deposit slip. The bank symbol is too dark & the number are too dark," She said, not taking her eyes off the slip.

"Whoever made this didn't put a lot of effort into it."

Everyone stared at her in amazement, except for Detective Anderson, who had a smirk on her face. The chief finally came out of the corner & nodded her head at Detective Anderson, before walking out with the two guards.

"Reign, we have an offer we would like to put down," She smiled at her. "How would you like to work for us?"

"Work for y'all ? As in actually work with the people that locked me up?" Reign furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes .. well it would be more so for the federal government. You could help us catch people who are trying to do what you did," Detective Anderson said.

"Mhm.."

"So is that a yes?" She asked, hoping that Reign would say yes.

"Nope."

Detective Anderson frowned, "Well why no-"

"What's in it for me? I can't just work with nothing in return & if that's what you think then, I'm sorry," Reign chuckled.

"No, no. We wouldn't treat you like that, especially with you being our best help at catching other con artists," She shook her head. "If you work with us, then you can be free."

Reign sat up straight, "Free? You mean free .. like I wouldn't have to come back to this hell hole .. or free like I would be able to walk around in here freely?"

Detective Anderson laughed, "No. Free as you wouldn't have to come back. You would be free, but you would have to spend the rest of your sentence working for us"

Reign glanced at her & back down at the deposit slip. She held out her hand & smiled.

"I'll take the offer."

••

I'm back bitchesssss! 🤪
Keep or delete? 🧐