ONE | Kristmas

Kristmas Kasey couldn't believe she was back in the one place she vowed she'd never return to. Her hometown: Bexley, Georgia⁠ where Christmas was always done right. That saying had stuck with her all her life and was why she'd gone against the grain and returned. She needed a dose of uplifting-over-the-top Christmas loving to help her put the pieces of her life back together. She'd lost herself and she hoped home was where she would find her again. The saying 'home is where the heart is' needed to prove to be true.

"Things don't change," Kristmas mumbled under her breath as her Uber driver navigated the streets of the town. In the six years since she'd left, everything appeared untouched. Every building, shop, and cafe were in the same place. Six years wasn't a long time but upgraded billboards would have been nice.

Exactly why she couldn't wait to get away from the small town in her younger days. Though when she plotted her escape at fifteen with her then boyfriend, the outcome was much different. Instead, she ended up in a situation that turned her into someone she wasn't and now she was fighting to become who she wanted to be.

"Here you are," the driver announced as he pulled up to her Airbnb. She got a glimpse of the cottage in the back of the main house and it didn't look as perfect as the pictures but she didn't complain. Besides, she liked that it was near her old neighborhood. She wanted to reminisce on the great times even if they all involved him.

"Thanks," Kristmas said as the driver handed her, her suitcase. She tightened her coat before heading up to her humble abode until the end of the year. She hoped thirteen days was enough time to get her centered but not drive her out of her mind.

Christmas lights aligned the windows and columns of the cottage. On the door set a big wreath with a huge red bow and a note welcoming her. She walked inside and smiled at the shiny tinsels and perfectly decorated mini Christmas tree. The smell of pine tickled her nose as she spotted wall air fresheners throughout the one-room house. Setting her things off into a small space she checked her work email hoping she'd have some opportunities in her in-box. She didn't.

Kristmas showered and unpacked before venturing out into the cold December air. It didn't take long before she stumbled onto Bexley Park. She recalled all the times she played and beat her ex-boyfriend. It was their spot and the basketball court brought butterflies to the pit of her stomach. Basketball had always been her first love and if it wasn't for impulsiveness, maybe she'd be playing on the WNBA instead of perusing Craigslist to find clients.

A bin with a few basketballs set off to the side of the court caught her attention. Kristmas picked up one and dribbled it a few times before doing a lay up. It had been a while since she'd played basketball but her body settled into rhythm quickly. "She shoots, she scores, and the crowd goes wild! Kasey! Kasey! Kasey!" Kristmas boosted her ego while letting off a round of laughs. "Girl you are embarrassing," she scolded herself before shooting another three. "But no one can touch talent!" She held her arm up like Monica from Love and Basketball.

"Same ol' cocky ass X," a familiar voice sounded behind her. Kristmas whipped her body around and froze in her spot. She had to be seeing things.