Chapter 22 - Aftermath

Disclaimer: Hurt belongs to Trent Razor.

"Huh," said Eric as he looked around the dimly lit corridor, "that's funny."

Jason waited beside the pudgy computer expert for a further explanation. But Eric was busy studying the screen of his laptop. When it became apparent Eric wasn't going to elaborate the stocky man said with an edge of frustration in his voice, "Funny like 'Ha Ha', or funny like 'Oh God we're going to die horribly?'

"I don't know."

"Eric," glowered Jason, "we need to get ready to move out. We're supposed to secure the elevator out of this crazy sideshow. We shut down the security system. You can quit it with all the geek stuff."

The older man gave Jason a quick scowl. "No. You cut power to the servers with you little axe there," he pointed with his free hand at the fire axe Jason still carried. "I didn't get a chance to see what was running on the equipment."

"Yeah, I'm real torn up about that," retorted Jason in a monotone voice.

"Sure you are," came Eric's dry reply as he went back to reviewing the laptop's screen. Eventually, he began to explain to Jason. "See there is a repeating signal broadcasting around here," said Eric as he pointed to a graph on the laptop's screen, "running on a really odd frequency."

Jason frowned at Eric's explanation and said, "Something the Souls are doing, or the other guys..." He broke off, not needing to clarify the 'other guys'. Both men had seen more than enough examples of the mysterious humans who had attacked the Souls in the building.

"That's what I don't know," replied Eric. He stopped and spun around slowly. A large smile appeared on the computer hacker's face. "But now I've got a lock on the signal." He pointed back down the passageway the two men had just walked.

They retraced their steps down the corridor and after turning down a previously unexplored hallway they came to a door with a sign titled 'Shelter' above the door frame. Jason looked at Eric and then back to the door. He shrugged and said, "Maybe it's some type of a distress signal."

"Well, I guess there's only one way to find out," said Eric as he grasped the doorknob and pulled the door opened. And then both Jason and Eric jumped back in alarm. The room was full of people. Jason guessed at least a dozen men and women crammed themselves into the room. The dim glow coming from the emergency lights wasn't enough to cause their eyes to shine, but Jason was certain they were all Souls.

Since the rebels had entered the building, they had not seen any living Souls. In fact, they had found few bodies at all. Marc believed the Souls would seek out a place to hide until it was safe to come out. As Jason stared blankly at the room full of Souls, he reflected that a room marked Shelter would be the obvious place for them to hide.

The Souls nearest the open door had also jumped back in alarm when Eric opened the door, but they had little room to retreat. Instead, they shrank back into a huddle while gasping in surprise and fear at their discovery. Then a young man with a thin blond mustache in the front of the doorway took a hesitant step towards Jason and Eric. In a quivery voice he asked, "Who are you?"

Jason sighed and then pulled out their walkie-talkie. The encroaching Soul gave him an odd look as they saw the worn and battered device. He pressed down on the send button and spoke into the receiver, "Dell, this is Jason. We've got a problem."

####

Pain radiated out from Seeker Night Ember Lights' right arm. Lying on the ground he twisted in an effort to relieve pressure on the shoulder. His efforts lessened the pain from the gunshot wound in his right limb but now his left leg ached miserably from his other wound. In a span of little more than an hour he'd been shot twice. Once in the leg while trying to escape from a pursuing Human gunman, and the second time when he pushed Dell out of the line of fire.