Chapter 33

"The beauty of victory always comes with a cost that the average person is unwilling to pay."             

—Nivekella <KEG>

Hidden away in one of several safe houses that she scattered across the face of Tatooine, Soelle sat in the dimness of the living area. Absently turning the signet ring on her hand, she stared into the large, backlit fountain beside her, listened to the falling water, and watched the dark shapes of the fish swimming aimlessly within it illuminated waves. She tossed bits of stale Ahrisa into the water and smiled at to the resulting splash as the pool's denizens fought for position to consume the food. A low indicator beeped, and she glanced at the datapad strapped to her wrist. There were several messages scrolling across the screen.

El-Diablos: Twenty-seven bases, impressive, Soelle. Congratulations.

Slang: I could be no prouder. Well, done, Soelle.

Tokkan: WOOT!

Rankin: You would make such a fine dancer in Theed. I could arrange an audition. Retire with your laurels.

Curtymac: /kiss GJ, Soelle.

There were other congratulatory communications, as well as more venomous taunts, even death threats, from the Rebels. She saved the messages, for the moment, bolstered by their verve and energy. Hers was an accomplishment unparalleled in the history of base-busting operations. Already there were rumors of a return visit to the Emperor, this time to properly attend him at his Retreat on Naboo. The reward would be one never bestowed upon a non-Jedi, the Medallion of the Order of the Sith.

There was one person Soelle had not heard from—someone no one had seen since the operation on Lok: Daemen. She remembered the peculiar dark look of hurt in his eyes, when she had run into Curtymac's arms and left with her guildmate. Soelle sighed, tossing the remaining Ahrisa into the pool. Life was becoming as complicated as a base bust where the rule of order had suddenly changed without notice or warning.

Nearby, warming himself beneath a sunlamp, Maku stirred anxiously. He spent the afternoon chasing the fish, splashing in the water, strafing dragonets in the deep desert, and hunting zucca boar. The Tailring was exhausted by the time Soelle brought him to the safe house just outside of Bestine. His stirring was cause for alarm. Glancing down at her datapad, Soelle activated the radar. Her bio-signature registered instantly, as did Maku's, but she did not recognize the two blue dots approaching the house. Passerbys? she wondered. When they did not pass by, lingering twenty meters from the house, she clucked and called Maku to her. The tiny dragon alighted on her shoulder, looking into the darkness for danger, danger that surely had to be there. He hissed, a growl lodged in the back of his throat, as he extended his wings to strike. Soelle hushed him, waiting to see what the interlopers would do next.

To her horror, the strangers moved toward the house and stopped at the front door, halted by the locking mechanism. Soelle heard the door servomotors whir rhythmically, denying a request for entry. "We know you're in there, Soelle. I suggest you let us in," said a voice.

Soelle grinned, moving into the corridor. Even as her proximity tripped the door to open, admitting the dying glare of Tatooine's twin setting suns, the security force field kept the two men from entering the threshold. "Masters Zep and Cole," she whispered, bowing deeply to extend them all due respect. "To what do I owe the great honor of this visit? Business or pleasure? If business, I hope the esteemed pair of you have not resorted to the scruples of bounty hunters. If pleasure, I'm afraid, all I have is a half-empty bottle of Corellian brandy, warm. However, I've been told that's when the draught tastes best."