Prologue

"Bravery comes in numbers, it's true. The higher the numbers, the braver you are."                                                  —Aled Evansq <ELITE>

Galactic Communiqué: 6141337695

Coded Priority: Red

Origination: Admiral Z.E. Etnam

Recipient: Grand High Inquisitor Adalric Cessius Brandl

RE: Guild Information

With the recent rash of insurgent activity in the core systems and the insurrections within the Outer Rim, the Imperial High Command cannot commit any further Imperial personnel to your cause, Inquisitor Brandl. This is deeply regrettable as your Nharquis'I Protectorate is well-known and highly respected among key military officials within the Empire. Your loyalty to Emperor Palpatine and the cause have been duly noted, marking you as a much trusted and most treasured ally. Thus, you are granted access to the following excerpt of classified information from a recent field report in the Wanderhome sector. Access to it is meant for only the highest ranking Imperial officials:

There are a number of active Imperial cells, known as guilds, scattered throughout the galaxy that may serve our will and our purpose. These loyal cells vary in reputation, skill level, leadership, and numbers. Some specialize in crafting, bio-engineering, tailoring, even the arts of dancing and music. Others find their niche in strategic combat, conventional military tactics, or the traditional martial arts of hand-to-hand. Still other cells are an amalgam of various types. They are loyal, impassioned Imperials, who are devoted to the cause, willing to commit their resources and their lives in the name of the Emperor.

However, the Rebels also possess their own guild organizations. To our peril, they appear to be well-coordinated, well-connected, and are thriving. Our Imperial cells are disorganized, oppositional among their own faction, and are greatly outnumbered by the Alliance; regardless, the Emperor's wishes are to prevail in the hearts and minds of a noble few. In spite of these unbalanced odds, a small number of Imperial cells fight on without proper personnel or equipment. Some of these beleaguered guilds have joined forces with others to redouble their powers and resources. Regretfully, despite their many successes against the Rebels, they also remain somewhat disorderly, segmented, and without true leadership. Even if they were united, it would take a tremendous miracle of leadership to seal the bond and maintain it, without shattering the fragility of its existence.

There you have it, Lord Brandl. You now know as much as I do; perhaps more, as thespians are more apt to read beneath the lines and between the illusions of words. The one and only suggestion I can provide you with is this, my friend. There is a viper within the midst of this galactic storm that is brewing. Seek it out. Find it. Bind it to you; and you may discover a miracle that would solidly unite the Imperial cells under one, glorious banner. With such a tiny thread, you may well yoke the more powerful guilds into line.

I greatly enjoyed your last stage production and wish you well in your current endeavors. As you and yours are apt to say, "May the Dark Side prevail."