01 | The Oak Tree

━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•

Myko Kingdom.

With its capital city neighbouring a vast ocean, this kingdom was renowned for its bustling ports and markets. It became pivotal in creating connections with kingdoms oceans away, so much so that no merchant overseas could hope to cross the waters without stepping foot there first. A plethora of ships arrived and departed every day. As the bridge between cultures, Myko's markets were abundant with valuables and goods that would have been unattainable without its connections. It was a prosperous land, thanks to Myko Kingdom's royal family: The Nakamuras.

A pair of heels clicked to a hurried beat against the smooth marble flooring, echoing through the lengthy halls. The walls were decorated extravagantly in gold, the tall windows draped with scarlet fabrics as they overlooked Myko's ports. The brunette maid struggled to hold up her floor-length skirt as she hurried towards the princess's chambers, sending apologetic looks and panted acknowledgements to those she ran past. Under different circumstances, she would've conducted herself with proper etiquette.

Upon recognising familiar double doors, she slowed down to adjust her dishevelled state and neaten crumples from her outfit. Then, she knocked twice.
No response. Having assisted her highness throughout her childhood, the woman was familiar with her — well, tendencies. Stuck between choosing to enter with or without order, she recalled the emphasised urgency in his majesty's voice. She shook her head.

'Now isn't the time,' she thought. 'She must be present, regardless of whether it pleases her or not.'
The woman finally entered, closing the door behind her. She scanned the large room, finding the queen-sized mattress empty, open books scattered among the crumpled sheets.

'This mess... She must've turned away the maids.'
She tutted, striding towards the balcony. If the princess was going to be anywhere other than her bed chamber this early in the morning, it would've been her balcony. Of course, her years of service proved her right.

"Princess Akami?"

For several generations, the Nakamura's were held responsible for preserving the connections their ancestors risked their lives to establish in hopes for a united, peaceful future. Their strive for peace and loyalty for their people would be passed down within each descendant, alongside genes of striking beauty. They were rumoured to have glistening, silver-white hair or deep scarlet eyes. Very rarely would a child acquire both, thereby resembling the founding Nakamura. Their appearances were most commonly described as...

... Fantastical.

There sat the white-haired princess, swinging her legs freely as she perched on the balcony railing, overlooking the gardens bountiful with beautiful flora. Her crimson red orbs glanced towards the person who called upon her.

"Oh, Sako," Akami exhaled a breath of relief upon noticing it was her personal assistant, and not her father's.

"I apologise for the intrusion, your highness. However, his majesty beckons you to meet him in his office. He said it was an urgent matter and your presence must be immediate."

"..."

"I am more than aware of the resentment you harbor towards the king, but you must attend. You cannot defy his majesty," Sako reasoned.