The Sea

San Diego,Pacific Beach,June 

Marina was used to this, each year her friends would invite her to the beach a few days after School ends, Marina being Marina, accepts. She wasn't angry being here but she knows her friends only invite her just because. She was a recycling activist, and believe in the use of Green Cleaning, her friends... not so much. Marina lifts her head up to take in the smell of food and of the sea. She has to admit the fun about going to the beach with her friends is going to the local seafood next by it, typically restaurant like those would be too expensive for her.

"Marina!" A girl yells her name. Blinking out of her daydreaming Marina looks at the dark-skinned girl,it was Maxine, her closest friend of the group."Oh look she's daydreaming....again" Marina looked over at the pale freckled girl sitting next to her a popsicle in her mouth, it was Chole."Sorry guys I was just..." Marina pauses then sighs, 'there's no point in telling them they already know.' She then starts back up again "Where's Lily and Sarah?" Chole looks around and then shrugs her shoulders" I don't know probably somewhere hanging out with the more popular kids" the tone was supposed to be light-hearted but Marina could hear a touch of jealousy in there, Chole then takes the popsicle out of her mouth, which was now a stick and flicks it towards the ocean. Marina turns her nose up in disgust "Chole!" "What? There wasn't a trash can nearby!" Chole says her tone nearly as loud as Marina, Maxine then intervenes "It's getting kind of late, let's go look for the rest" It was true, the sun was now setting down and people were leaving, but Marina had other plans "I'll catch up to you guys later" She says. Maxine spoke up "Okay You know our number." Then they headed for the exit.

8:00 pm

It was dark and she could hear bugs fly around her. 'The Ocean' Marina mumbles."Marina?" She jumps at her name being called, she wasn't alone. Looking back she saw that the person who called her was her own best friend, Maxine. "You haven't come to the hotel yet?" Maxine says in a worrying tone. Marina looks at Maxine then at the Ocean "Deep down in my heart I know this is dangerous, but the ocean is calling me." Marina whispers before Maxine could say anything, she then jumps into the deep blue water. Maxine instincts took over and she jumped into the water after her. Maxine starts to swim after before stopping to a halt to notice something. Bags, forks, and straws everywhere and it was really dirty. A large sting ray then swam in circles around her. She then knew what Marina meant.

Marina was a Stingray and because of pollution, the ocean is in trouble.