Peeta at the Reaping

This one is dedicated to LexiJohnson9 because she asked for it. Remember you guys can ask anytime. No promises on when they will be uploaded, though, because school just started ^.^

___________________________________________________________________________

The reaping. It's not as bad for me, I only take one or two tesserae a year, but it's hard when the girl's name is called. I don't have a sister. Or a girlfriend. No, there's no one like that for me to worry about. 

But there is this one girl. 

Her name is Katniss, and she lives in the seam. She's beautiful, and has a voice that makes everyone and everything go silent. Even the mockingjays.

I watch Effie Trinket walk towards the girl's bowl. My fingers are crossed. Not her. Please, not Katniss.

And then she calls the name.

"Primrose Everdeen." Her voice leaves a ringing in my ears.

I may not be close to Katniss, but I know how she works. I know she won't let Primrose go into the games. Maybe that's one of the things I like about her, but not when it means I know she's going to risk her life.

There is a moment of silence. Disbelief. And then I hear her beautiful voice calling out, screaming, that she volunteers.

Katniss is going to the games.

My heart beats faster, and I fight my instinct to run up to that stage, grab Katniss's arm and run. But I can't do that. I have to hear the boy's name.

"Peeta Mellark."

I'm at a loss for words. There's no way. No way I'm going to the games with her. Not with Katniss. Not with the girl I've been in love with for most of my life. But then I accept it.

I am going to the games.

But I'm not going to just be a tribute.

I'm going to protect Katniss Everdeen. With my life. That's the only way she's ever going to get out.