♥42♥ Alternate World Arc - For the sake of the person precious to you

Start from the beginning

"W-we're back?" 

Dabi crawled his way against a tree. He left a trail of blood, but he didn't care. He needed to rest and forget about the pain. 

"Dabi!" She stayed close to him just so her white aura covered him and heal his wounds. She was scared; the healing process was slow and there's no guarantee Dabi wouldn't die from his wounds. 

"Yuuki," Dabi reached a blood-soaked hand up and he touched her cheek affectionately. Right now, he's not really seeing her. Through her, he was seeing someone else, someone who meant the whole world to him.

"You're so silly, Dabi. I could have slowly healed myself even if I was pierced." 

"You only realized that now? How cute." He looked at her with a tired yet peaceful smile on his face. "You must be confused why I protect you at that last moment, right?" When he rubbed her cheek with his thumb, he was tracing fresh blood onto her face. "My body moved on its own, by the time I realized, I was pierced by so many spikes and fucking bleeding." 

"Dabi!" Yuuki hugged him, "You didn't have to...! You...!" 

"I know. I know that Yuuki. But I couldn't help it." He sighed tiredly and his other hand patted her on the top of her head. "When someone precious to you is in any form of danger, it's only natural you will throw yourself at it, even if it costs your own life. Even if you're able to heal yourself, I would have jumped in the way, regardless." 

"But if you sacrifice your own life, what meaning is there?" 

"You really are cute. Why don't you imagine if the person precious to you is in danger right now?" 

"The person precious to me?" 

"Imagine it. Go on, you can do it." 

So she did. She imagined what if he was in danger...what would she have done? Will she just be like Dabi? Throw herself in the midst of danger for the sake of that one precious person to have more time in this world? Will she get herself hurt for that person and fear not even death? Even if it was irrational to throw your own life away for the sake of someone else...it wasn't something logic or rationality could explain on the spur of the moment. Yuuki believed she will do exactly as Dabi did if that scenario ever came to greet her. 

"I think even you understand that." He ran his fingers through her hair. "You should brush your hair often, idiot."

She could only cry in response. She cried because the tears wouldn't stop. She doesn't understand anymore.

"Once you realize just how precious that person is to you, you will know you will do anything for them...be it drenching your own hands in blood or doing something wrong or stupid." Dabi's ring with a blue jewel began to glow. A warm, blue light enveloped only him. 

"Dabi...?" The light around Dabi was warm and soothing. She looked at him with a questioning look, unable to comprehend what was going on. 

"Shh, don't worry. It's time for me to leave this world."

"Huh?" 

He looked up at the moon with a tired look on his face, "I'm trying to get back to that place, to that time...there's something I have to do there no matter what."

"Wait, where are you going? Your wounds...!" 

"Don't worry. I'm going to another world, the wounds will be gone too by the time I arrive. It's complicated, Yuuki, you wouldn't understand how things beyond logic." 

Yuuki grasped the front of his coat, "Where are you going? We've only just met! There's still so much I don't understand and want to know!" 

Dabi smiled at her innocence and he patted her on the head, scratching the white ear that had a black tint at the tips. He was content with this outcome and the peacefulness on his face showed that. He cupped her cheeks and he felt her warm tears flowing down the back of his hands.