The U. A. Sports Festival (Part 1)

The day of the U.A. High School Sports Festival finally arrived.

Thousands of people gathered to watch Japan's most popular sports event.

The school was surrounded by reporters, trying to get as much inside information as they could on the students.

The first years were gathered in the Player Waiting Room, chatting away their nerves.

When Mei finally arrived, Momo was relived. Her grandparents had insisted on driving her to school this morning, so they didn't walk together like they usually did.

"Hey, Mei!" said Momo, upon seeing her friend walk in. "What took you so long?"

"I was talking to the reporters outside, but they lost interest really quickly."

"Why?"

"Apparently 'spite' is not an 'appropriate answer' to 'what motivates you?'"

Jirou, who was sitting nearby, chuckled.

Mei looked over at her and smiled softly.

She had apologized to the girl yesterday for the way she acted in the locker room, and it was shocking that she was able to forgive Mei so quickly. Nonetheless, things were still a little awkward between them.

Ultimately, however, Mei preferred it that way. She always liked to keep a safe distance from people.

"So, you guys nervous?" asked Mei.

"Of course I am! It's a huge deal." said Momo.

"Plus, everyone wants to be on top." said Kyoka. "Don't you?"

"Yeah, sure. I mean, my grandparents made it very clear that they want me on that podium. Truth is, I just hope I can beat Todoroki to it."

"I thought you learned that spite is not a good reason to do anything." said Jirou.

"Shh, just leave her." said Momo. "Whatever works to get her lazy butt up every morning is good enough."

Momo and Jirou then laughed in unison.

"Yeah yeah, very funny." said Mei.

"Everyone, are you ready?" said Iida, bursting into the room. "We will be entering soon!"

"Man, I wonder what the stakes of a competition like this do to a guy like Iida." said Mei. "The guys is probably about to lose it any minute now."

"He can join Kaminari and the two can short circuit together." added Kyoka.

In that moment, Todoroki called out to Mei, interrupting the girls' conversation.

"Shinomori." he said, approaching the group.

"What." she turned to face him.

"Looking at things objectively, I think I'm stronger than you."

"Excuse me?"

"But you are still among the top students in this class, so I'm assuming I will have to face you at some point in this competition." he said, stoically. "I want to make clear that despite whatever arrangement out families may have, I'm going to beat you. "

"What arrangement?" Jirou whispered to Momo, who shrugged, pretending not to know.

"You've got some nerve, Todoroki." said Mei, as psi-energy began to envelop her closed fists. "I will make you swallow those words, you cocky bastard."

Iida then came running over while waving his hands around. "Stop that right now you two!"

"So you want to be like your dad, huh, Todoroki?" Mei teased, through her teeth. "Big hero Endeavour?"