"Jace?" She called out.

My heart stopped. I feel like the air had been sucked out of me.

She came closer.

I couldn't move my lips to speak.

"It's dark here, I don't know if you can read my lips but I need to tell you this. You've always been there for me. I can't thank you enough for standing up for me all those times. Sometimes I feel like you're my guardian-angel. You're always there when I need you. What I'm trying to say is..."

No. Please no.

"I-I like you Jace."

I staggered back when she said that. I felt like I had been punched.

She had feelings for Jace.

I could feel the blood pounding in my ears. Red hot rage consumed every part of me.

"You like Jace?" I almost didn't recognize my voice. It was too calm completely opposite to the war raging inside of me.

"Hunter? What are you doing here? You wrote me that letter?" Shock and horror laced her voice.

Just leave Hunter.

"Leave her alone. Let her be happy." A small voice in my head kept telling me but I couldn't listen.

I was too far gone. Consumed by my anger. The jealousy was eating me alive.

"Disappointed to see me? Poor Scarlett, were you expecting Jace?" I spat the words out like they were poison in my mouth.

"What is this? Some sick joke to make fun of me?" She demanded.

I laughed coldly at my twisted fate.

The only girl I had ever loved was in love with my best friend.

Why was I surprised?

After how I'd treated her what had I been expecting?

That she'd come running to my arms?

Stop this.

A voice inside me whispered.

You're only making her hate you more.

"Why?" She whispered finally.

I squeezed my eyes shut at the pain I heard in her voice.

I felt like I was being torn to pieces. It hurt too much.

"Why?" She asked again her voice was louder this time.

My eyes snapped open.

Maybe it's better if she hates me.

Maybe that's all that I deserve. Her hatred.

"Because I hate you! You have ruined me!" I was surprised at how loud my voice was. She flinched away from me and I felt like I had been slapped.

I needed to leave. Before I hurt her any more than I already have.

I turned away. I couldn't look at her anymore. It hurt too badly.

I could hear her furious voice calling out for me but I didn't turn around.

I started to make my way back to the gym but a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"Hunter man, where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you." I stiffened when I heard Jace's voice.

I gritted my teeth and I shoved his hand off me. "Stay the fuck away from me!" I spat out.