Chapter Twelve

Ya Afaan again, Lord, give me patience. I dropped my phone, fastened my seatbelt, and he drove away without saying a word.

I plugged my phone into his aux, i was even surprised that he had an aux. I played "Angelina" and sang along. He looked at me.

"What? That's my jam," I said.

His phone rang, and he reluctantly picked it up.

"Hello. Yes, babe, yes, I'll be there. Okay? Me too."

I was surprised. So Ya Afaan could be this cheesy. We reached my house, and I found my way inside after thanking him, people were still around.

I entered my room after exchanging greetings with Zain, Harri, and Mommy , I didn't even take a bath because I was so tired. I just let the beauty of sleep engulf me.

****************************************************

At 6:30 pm, my phone kept ringing and jolted me awake, I shouted into my pillow and checked the caller, It was an unknown number. I picked up with my sleepy voice.

"Hello."

"Hello. Cheri amour, l'amour de ma vie, Gimbiyar kyau. " he said with an accent, and I started jumping.

"Oh my God, are you freaking back, you fool? Where are you right now?" He laughed.

"Girl, the neighbors can hear you. Tone it down. I don't want the world to know I'm back. Anyways, I'm in front of my best friend's house." he replied.

"Oh my God, swear you're back?"

"Come see for yourself," he said and hung up.

Usman Aminu was once my crush in high school. I never had the guts to tell him. I was afraid of being turned down (who isn't?).

We had lots of eye contacts in school , though I always thought he was looking at something else, not me. He was the coolest and most handsome boy then.

He graduated and left for college in Cyprus, and I stalked him for God knows how long till I finally decided to keep my crush madness aside when reality hit me in the face. I was in SS3 at that time. I thought I wouldn't see him again, and then, Lo and behold...

I saw him at our prom after three years , he was there with a girl, he went as her prom date, and he was older, fresher, and if I may say, hotter. I had a thing for taking pictures, so I was the George Okoro of the day.

I walked up to them and asked if he wanted a picture. He said no while staring at me, but his date begged, and he obliged.

She was doing all these couple goals poses, and I had the urge to laugh, but I kept my cool. I took the picture and turned, thinking it's high time I left. Then, he stepped close to me and asked to see the pictures I took.

"Hey, can I see the pictures?" He asked, standing beside me as he held my hands to take the camera. After that, all was blank. I was so lost, like a lost puppy. I only came back to reality when he nudged me.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I said no and told him I was dehydrated. He offered to get me a drink which I declined politely. I walked to the smoothie stand and treated myself to an Oreo shake.

I was getting tired of the prom and wanted to leave. and I didn't want to bother my date, so I grabbed my purse and went out. My house was close, I called Mallam Saidu to see if he could come me up but unfortunately he didn't pick

"let me just ask Awab (my date) to drop me." I turned with the zeal to go back in when I saw Usman standing by the door.

Now what?

"Now, you let me take you home,"

I said that aloud.

****************************************************

That was three years ago, and now he's my best friend, we've had our moments, I wore a black abaya with a body con, grabbed my phone and ran downstairs.

I met my dad downstairs in the living room sipping tea, I totally forgot he was back.

"Abba, good evening." I bent down and greeted him.

"Evening, Afrah. Noi?"

"Jam, Abba."

"Okay, alhamdulillah. Afrah, dume damete, I've been in this house for the past three days, and this is the first time we are meeting."

"Abba, it's the wedding,I'm sorry," I said, scratching my head.

"Ber-nde am metti. I'm angry with you. But go and come back; we need to talk," he replied, walking away.

I got up and half-ran outside , his car was parked outside, so I knocked, and he unlocked the car.

"This is no way to welcome someone you've not seen in months, Afrah," he said, holding his chest.

I got lost. He looked so good. Funny thing is, he's casually dressed.

"Lafiya you," I replied, looking at my hands.

"I said 'yaneh,' not 'yakike,'" he said, and I remembered that this is my dear best friend, not some crush.

"Yaneh should still be replied with 'Lafiya,' you dumbass," I said, taking a video of him and playfully knocking his head.

Afrah: Well, well, well, Usman Aminu, look at you! You've gotten all grown up and... dare I say it... handsome?

Usman: Afrah, you flatter me! But trust me, you look even better. I mean, what's your secret?

Afrah: Secret? Just natural beauty, my friend. So, where's your girl? I know you must have one hanging off your arm by now.

Usman: (grinning) Oh, she's right by my side. (winks)

Afrah: Usman, you play too much!

(They both laugh)

Usman: Alright, alright, so what's the plan? Where do you want to go?

Afrah: You know, there's this amazing ice cream place around the corner. I've been dreaming about it for years. Let's go there ?

Usman: Ice cream, it is! Lead the way, Afrah. Let's satisfy that sweet tooth of yours!
****************************************************

At 9:45, Usman dropped me home after giving me the best time of my life and filling my hands with chocolate goodies. I tried sneaking in, but with all the leathers and my shoes, it was hard, really hard. I wished I had called Harri or Zain.

Someone was in the parlor, and it was Abba. Abba was usually in bed by 8. Why was he up? I was curious.

He turned, and we locked eyes for a minute.

"I've been waiting for you. Go drop those things and come."

I nodded, dropped the leathers, washed my face, and rushed downstairs. This had to be serious. For some reason, I was having a mini heart attack.

I sat near his legs.

"Abba gani. I'm here."

"Okay , Afrah," he began and cleared his voice.

"Khadija. You know it's a beautiful feeling to understand Qadr. Do you know what that is, my dear?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Qadr is to believe that whatever happens, Alhamdulillah, it happens for the best, be it good or bad...". He said something that hit me so hard I had to stand up.

"I want to get you married Afrah, for reasons best known to me , if you have someone please tell him to come and meet us if not there's someone I would want you to meet, so go and think about it".

And that was all I could remember my thoughts possessed me.

Do people even get forced to get married nowadays ? I looked at Abba without saying a word and got up to leave after he told me he was done.