Day 7

"We're all needed for this mission," Steve states from the front of the conference room. His lips are set in a straight line and there are no hints of the smile he was wearing only half an hour earlier when the two of you were eating lunch together. It goes to show that something as seemingly insignificant as a ten-minute phone call can change everything.

"What is it this time?"

"Infiltration." Steve hesitates before adding, "Of a HYDRA base."

Bucky who, for the first time ever, voluntarily chose to sit next to you for this meeting, clenches his fists under the table.

"Even me?" Bruce questions, stealing your attention away from HYDRA's former golden boy. He's fiddling with the sleeves of his sweater and you wish you could offer him some kind of comfort. You know how opposed he is to becoming the big, green monster unless it's absolutely necessary.

"We're only going to need your medical expertise for this one, Doc."

"Oh thank god." Bruce sinks back in his seat and relief floods through you. At least someone is guaranteed to come out of this mission unscathed.

"The Quinjet is leaving in an hour," Tony announces as he consults the tablet in his hands.

"Well you heard the man," Steve says, trailing his gaze across the room. The concentration in his sky blue eyes lets you know that he's formulating a plan. "We have an hour. Everyone go get ready and then we'll meet back at the Quinjet."

You are one of the first people out of the room with Scott Lang falling into step beside you. His presence in the tower is sporadic, so you take advantage of the moments when he is around. His positive attitude and lack of a filter make you laugh without fail and that's exactly what you need before heading into such a dangerous mission.

"Did I ever tell you about my brief stint as a Baskin Robbins employee?"

"No," you say as the two of you wait for the elevator doors to open. "Expand on this. Wait; are there pictures of you in the uniform? Please tell me you have pictures."

"As a matter of fact," he replies, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Luis took one of me on my first day."

When you see the picture of him in a bright pink polo shirt, blue apron, and matching blue Baskin Robbins hat, you double over. "That is pure gold," you gasp through your laughter. "You have to send that to me. I'll love you forever if you do."

His green eyes shine. "Really?"

"Yes," you reply just as the elevator opens. You wait until Scott is standing beside you before pressing the button for your floor. Right before the doors can slip shut, someone else manages to squeeze through. You recognize that shock of dark hair and bright eyes right away. "Hey Bucky."

He smiles. "Hi Y/N."

"Did you guys just say hi to each other? Did he just smile?" The bewilderment in Scott's voice threatens to push you into a fit of giggles all over again. "But you two hate each other, a lot."

"Hated each other," you correct. "You see how much you miss when you don't stop by for regular visits?"

The elevator stops on Scott's floor and he takes his time getting off, unable to hide how amazed he is by this new development. "I thought that hell would freeze over and pigs would fly before the two of you became friends."

"He talks a lot," Bucky comments offhandedly once the two of you are alone.

"I like that he does. It keeps things interesting."

Bucky ponders over this before saying, "Are you insinuating that I'm boring because I don't like to talk a lot?"

Your jaw falls open as this conversation takes a turn for the unexpected. "I never said that!"