Episode 1: 3/3

He has a tight grip around my wrist.

"Wow, someone grow up to become really feisty," he says, chuckling brightly as if we were about to go and drink tea. I glare at him without speaking as I try to loosen his hand on my wrist. He laughs and tightens his hold, causing me to wince in pain.

"Let me go!" I yelp and this time he does. I rub my throbbing wrist and scowl at him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"You survived. I'm proud of you," the man says ignoring my words. He leans onto the railing and glances at the plants and flowers around us casually.

"You look the same." I examine him from head to toe. "Your weird accent is still the same too. What are you doing here?"

"I guess I was passing by?" He turns his head to look at me in the eyes. "By chance, have you been looking for me?"

I shake my head. "I gave up looking for you long ago. " Horrible memories begin to poke around in my head, provoking me to have a flashback. "I thought you aren't worth the effort."

His dark brown eyes darken, and he straightens. "What?"

I close my eyes, trying to shut those memories. "I was a naive kid back then. I shouldn't have trusted a stranger like you. Because of that, many things happened..." I rub my temples to clear my head. "I was dumb and stupid." I shot him a glare full of hatred, and he laughs. Anyone would have been shocked but I guess he is used to it. I feel frustrated and decide to try and stir him. "Maybe someone is too scared to protect me from those scary ghosts."

The man snorts loudly. "Are you calling me a wimp?"

"You are a wimp, no?" I pretend to be confused. "Don't worry, I'm never going to call you by your name." I'll call him Wimpy, but I have the feeling that he would kill me if he hears me call him that. Maybe I will call him that in my head.

Wimpy snorts and burst into sarcastic laughter. "What's wrong, huh? I heard humans only gain anger as they age."

"I'm not old! I'm only twenty-five!" I flush deep red.

"Are you?" He looks at me quizzically. "You look...thirty-eight."

My face burns in embarrassment. "It is a deliberate attempt!"

Wimpy sniffs the air and covers his nose with his finger. "And what is that smell?" He sniffs at me and makes a groan. "It comes from you!"

"I haven't really showered since last year," I mutter. "I only shower once a year."

"What?" He wrinkles his nose in pure disgust. "I like you better as a child."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I'm leaving."

"Wait." Wimpy stops me. "I can't just pass you by. What's your phone number? I'll text you a talisman."

I frown. "What for?"

"It must be hard to protect yourself from spirits." He nods like he sympathises with me.

"Well, are you going to tell me your name then?" I ask cautiously.

Wimpy whips out his smartphone and begins tapping on it. "If I told you my name is so-and-so, would that be my real name?"

So and so? He must be fooling around with me. "If I call your name, will you really protect me?"

Wimpy looks back at his phone. "That's right. Call me if you're struggling. I can't guarantee that I'll answer."

"I didn't say we can exchange phone numbers. I'm saying if I call out your name..." I stop, an idea popping up in my head. "Because I remember your real name."