"I kind of like it," Kelton said. He reached up stroked the fine hairs that had begun to grow on his face. Manly hairs.

"A Sorinnian man is shaped by the women around him," Vasco informed him with a wink. "I think you'll have little say in the matter. Mayhap, you should have chosen a more pliable woman to save."

"Nay," Kelton said, proud of his decision. Yanda thought he was a man and wanted the world to know it. "My bargain was a good one." If she wanted his chin clean, it would be clean. Boys worry about such things, not men. He glanced at Yanda again. She didn't think he was a boy.

"I'll teach you to read some easy text this morn," Vasco said, changing the subject. "You've got the letters down, and it's time to put them together. This afternoon, Master wants us to attend him. Sorry, but it is a meeting with Master Laradia, and he wishes to see the picture mind. Our Master intends to show you off."

"Master Laradia?"

"House Laradia is a mining house. Coal mostly. That black rock you see us burn for warmth." Vasco took a bite of his bread and chewed a moment. "A wagon load is being delivered, and I think Master Laradia is using it as a chance to see you. It is under the guise of bargaining future pricing, but I suspect he'll test you as before."

"So far, it's been an easy thing," Kelton said with a shrug. "Mayhap, it will fail one day, and I'll find myself in the mines."

"Doubtful, but sums, reading, and reasoning are just as important," Vasco corrected. "I will teach to deliver profits with or without." He smiled. "Your picture mind just makes it easier."

Learning to read was both easy and difficult for Kelton. There were words that sounded the same, but written differently, and there were words written the same but sounded differently. Exceptions were far more numerous than Vasco had first let on. Kelton's mind worked best with absolute rules. He suspected it would become more straightforward with practice, which was Vasco's intent. Kelton thought it was going slow. Vasco was impressed that Kelton was learning so quickly. After the noon meal, they entered the main house as Master desired.

"I had to retire two more this month. At this rate, I might as well live at the auction," a tired voice said. Vasco and Kelton were moving toward the sitting room. Vasco had said it was for informal gatherings of no more the five or six.

Vasco knocked on the threshold of the open door.

"Come," Master Tarvakian said. Kelton entered into a room designed for comfort. Over cushioned chairs that showed no bones of their innards. Just molded cloth, soft looking, that seemed to grow from the floor, yet held the two men easily enough. Kelton assumed it was Master Laradia who had been speaking since he would have recognized Tarvakin's words.

Laradia was a thin man and short of stature. His hair was gray yet still full on his head and had a confidence about him that Kelton suspected all masters owned.

"Ahh, the picture mind," Laradia said, rising from this chair. The exhaustion was no longer evident in his voice. Kelton bowed his head slightly, less so than he would have for his Master.

"What happened to your hair, my boy?" Tarvakian asked. There was humor in his eyes, so Kelton knew it wasn't a rebuke.

"Yanda thinks me worthy of her land's look, Master," Kelton said.

"A mark of manhood in her eyes, Master" Vasco added.

"I suppose you have crossed that line," Tarvakian said. "Though everyone seems young to me these days." Laradia nodded in agreement. Tarvakain rose from his seat and gave Kelton's hair a good look. "Yes, I'll have to stop referring to you as ' boy.' Only a man could woo a woman like Yanda." He and Laradia shared a laugh.