No Chaser

CHAPTER 1

Dear Diary,

I'd like to start this diary with a simple but long lasting quote that will forever stay in mind,

"The treasure doesn't do the hunting."

So, as awkward as this might be, I'll introduce myself to this diary of mine.. My name is Grace Leann Sanchez, I am a nineteen years old girl currently attending York University, located in the northwestern part of Toronto, blah blah blah.. anyways back to the goods. I am going to be taking you throughout my altered universe that I've been struggling to cope with forever. But the better news is that I've made myself a vow to write a quote on this diary that best reflects my week. If you think thats hard, try writing a mega paper about why murderers do what they do for your final exam, not so fun. Anyway I shall hit the hay, see you next week!

I buried the book underneath my matress as I flopped onto my unmade bed. My head felt heavy and all I wanted to do was submerge myself in my covers. Instead of my unintended plan of me falling helplessly asleep, I concluded the night with unexpected thoughts of a girl getting chased by God knows who. She was utterly in desperate need of, not only a shampoo and a comb, but help. It was as if my dreams from when I was sixteen came back to hit me in the face, although I never really understood why I dreamed those kinds of scenarios. I grew up watching loads of scary movies and even though I was scared shitless, I felt comfortable with my family around. Also, my mom thought that it would help me understand how to defend myself in the future.

But anyway, I woke up this morning from the grouchy old mailman who never really delievered mail at six in the morning. But ever since his divorce, I'm guessing his coffeemaker would have gotten taken away from him. I recieved a package from a music production company in New York. I had no idea what was in it, even till now I'm afraid to open it. It was a ractangular shaped box that was about half my height, seeing as I am only like 5 foot and 6 inches. I grabbed my Raspberry Tea from the refrigerator and took a large scissor from the drawer. I pushed the box towards the guest room area and I stabbed the exposed tape from the top of the box. Once it was fully opened, I removed the bubble wraps and got a hold of a solid and heavy object. I lifted it out of the package carefully and examined the item. It was a gold and copperish picture frame with definite details of flowers on each edge of it. The frame exposed a 32" tall X 43-1/2" wide picture of me, Wes, Ty, Carter, and Diane all from 2010 senior year prom. The memory of Wes brings an uncomfortable ache to my stomach, but knowing that this was his way of apologizing was incredibly surprising. On the other hand, he was a man full of surprises.

I spent my afternoon walking Max to the dog park and gradually looking at my iPhone in hopes of someone to invite me somewhere on the first week of summer. As always, I was left last on everyone's list of Who to Invite. It never really bothered me considering that it was better for me to be alone than to try my hardest to fit into the wrong crowed. But I still want to feel wanted for once.

On my way home, the thought of Wes' apology came to mind. The fact that I left him with no answer was completely bitchy of me, I wasn't going to be another Diane. I haven't seen any of my friends from highschool in two agonizing years. I was always too afraid that they might have changed and became some sort of trooper, opposite from me. I was a girl who would always be seen watching the hockey or basketball game with a bunch of pigs, but I didn't mind. I'm not afraid to admit that I have my inner nerd side and my inner dark side. I haven't been on a date for about three years because after my break up with Keith, I never thought I would consider suffering from another heartache ever again. From the beginning of my Junior year I engaged myself in my school work and most of the times I would occasionally shut the whole world out, which was never my intention. Wes and I would always study together in prep for attending University together at York. But of course, since he is full of surprises, he made last minute touch ups on his application which got him accepted to Columbia University. I assume he got into the Police Sergeant Union department and never came back to tell me how his first year went. After prom night, I wouldn't have wanted to face me either.

I woke up in the middle of the night from the worst case scenario ever, a thunder storm. I struggled to shut all my windows in the dark using only my phone screen light. When I came downstairs, the back door was fully open and damp leaves started to dance around my kitchen and rain accross my slippery floor. When I walked forward to close the door, a sudden appreance became visible. It crept closer each time I stepped back until a face was clear from the small light of my phone, it was my sister.

****

"Hot chocolate or tea?" my voice was dry and wary.

"Hot chocolate's fine" She removes her soaking jacket and rain boots and shuffles towards the dining room. I offered her a large towel and some blankets to keep herself warm as I wait for the water to boil. 

"I'm really sorry to interrupt you late at night.. I just wanted to see how you're doing" She finishes her sentence with a hint of hope. Somehow I feel as if everyone's apologizing for the wrong reasons, but as always, I go with it. 

"It's fine, so why exactly are you here?" I glare at her to give me a more convincing answer. Despite the awkwardness that fills the room, she looked very decieving and red, really red. 

"Matt was drinking-" I interrupted her without knowing I did, "What? What did he do to you?" At this point, I was already walking towards her. 

"Nothing! He just scared me that's all.." I can tell by the terrified look on her face that she was lying, so I gave her the I'm-not-stupid look. 

"He slapped me." April, that's her name. She's only four years older than me, so to some degree she understands me. However I never appreciated her visits because they were always unexpected. She's been with her boyfriend Matthew Thompson for about 3 years now and this is the second time I've experienced her cryng back to me for help because of him. 

"April, you have to fight back, you can't just come to your little sister for support" As much as I love company, I can't bear to see any of them in tears.

"But I love him!" She sobbs, "he's different, I can't stand the thought of me without him.." 

"If you're suffering from some sort of assault or harassment, you can't stay with someone who does that to you! You know better than this April" I was almost yelling, I cannot tolerate this grief that she's been going through for years.

"Can I stay for the night?" She says finally.

"Stay as long as you want" before I can grab extra clothes and pillows for her, she's already fast asleep. I placed her not-so-hot chocolate on the table in front of her, and covered her gently with thick blankets. 

~

I woke up early to take a shower and apply my light makeup for the day. I wanted to take my sister out shoping and then drop her off at my parent's house while I head down to Oshawa to confront Matt for the first time. April said that he was hosting a bachelor party for his brother and I figured it would be a perfect time to have a little chat with the fella. 

"So why are you leaving me at mom's and dad's?" April says with a curious face. She's wearing my favorite Britain flag tank top with the only jeans that she packed. That's one of the things we have in common; british guys and classy looks.

"I have to stop by at work to drop off my final documents at my assistant's office" I've always been a bad liar, but after being by myself for the longest time, I've learned enough to cope. I work at a publishing company near York but far from home. I haven't been to work for a month because they had to replace my boss for some settlement agreement. I have never felt so excited to return to work  next week in my entire life. 

April has always been the type of girl that would catch any guy's attention. She dated over five guys in her highschool years, but they were never serious and long lasting. I was always jealous of her, but the thought of her having almost everything never affected me. I knew that we were different and that I would have what I deserved in life, after all I was never a chaser.