⒈ Getting started

Crap.

In order to not wake up my big sister, I resisted the urge to scream out and curse after I dropped some sheets of paper all around the stairs as I walked downstairs. It wasn't that early in the morning, about nine AM, probably even later than that, but I knew very well that my sis really needed some sleep right now. That's why I picked up the sheets of paper as silently as possible and then quickly snuck down to the ground floor.

When I entered the living room, where my sister was, I saw her, just as I expected, deeply sleeping, even drooling a bit. The lamp next to the sofa was still turned on, and she had one of her school books on top of her breasts, so it seemed like she studies... I think it was her Latin book until she inevitably fell asleep. I also noticed that she had her headphones on, and I could hear the loud metal music roar through the whole room. How can she even sleep with those on? How have her ears not ruptured yet?

Anyway, I left a note on the table in the living room, so that she would know that I'm gone. It said "I'm off, at a friend's place. Will do the dishes later. Piko." Then I left the house.

Although my big sister, whose name is Flower, owns a bedroom, she doesn't want to use it any longer. But well, at least not until I'm successful. I looked at the papers I carried in my skinny arms. I spent a lot of time designing and printing them, actually, though I don't think they look that neat. But they'll do their job, I guess. On the sheets was text written in big, bold letters.

"MISSING: Have you seen this girl?
Lia 'IA' Utatane"

it read. In the next paragraph, the font size got smaller.

"Age: 15
Height: 155cm
Last seen wearing a black top and pink skirt.
If you have any information, please contact us!"

The telephone number of our family came next. Furthermore, between the bold and the non-bold text, there was the most recent and accurate photo of my sister that I could possibly find. Because she had forgotten her phone the evening she disappeared, there's at least something that remained of her. I could find this selfie of hers fairly recent on her camera roll, and she looked so beautiful and happy on it.

My two sisters, Lia, or IA, as she prefers to be called, usually shared their bedrooms, but ever since IA was gone, Flower refused to sleep in that room. That's why I found her sleeping on the sofa. It all happened so unexpected... I still remember teasing IA in a sibling-ly kind of way while she was on the way to her dance class. But she never returned home. Of course, the police is looking for her and stuff, but I don't wanna just wait and do nothing.

That's the reason why I'm outside right now. As I already said when I wrote that note for Flower, I'm visiting a classmate. Although we haven't had too much contact yet, he offered his help immediately when he heard rumours about what had happened.

This boy was a very good student and vice president of our school's newspaper club, even though he only transferred here not even one year ago. His grades are, from what I could observe, extremely great as well. Not necessarily out of the ordinary, but he's definitely better than me and I'm really not a bad student. I only get art supplies if I have an A in exams, and BOY I've got hella lots of microns, trust me.

...What I'm tryna to say is that I'm fairly good at school, but he's better. Yeah, definitely. Less than a week ago, when he offered his help, he said that he was kinda good at detective work and he'd love to try his best to help me. I'm positive that the two of us can find out at least something about IA's disappearance. I hope we can find her.

And that... nothing has happened to her...

That boy's name was Fukase, he had particularly noticable curly hair that was as red as a tomato. In addition, he had a medical eye patch above his left eye as well as two band aids that formed a X together on his pale nose, no one really knows why, but maybe I can ask him today. I knew where he lived after we worked on a presentation in English class together. It wasn't that far away from where I lived, so it took me less than ten minutes to get to his house.