5. A Fighter

"What do I do? Stand here?" Rachel asks nervously as she puts an annoying strand of hair out of her face and behind her ear smoothly

"What are you worrying about? Your an agent... you seem flustered." Erskine acknowledged as he jotted down a note on his clipboard.

"I'm meeting the man who fought beside my great uncle." Rachel states fiddling with her fingers: a nervous habit of hers. "How can I not be nervous?"

"Act. Your an agent. Act like one." Erskine states in a not so mean way and he literally just walked towards the room they had seen Steve enter a matter of moments before.

-

"Is there a problem?" Rachel heard Steve ask someone, presumably the doctor.

"Just wait here." The doctor replied before moving around the curtain that was put in place.

Steve slowly turned his head around and looked at the sign behind him nervously, 'It is illegal to falsify your enlistment form,' his sudden thoughts went to him getting caught like Bucky had told him earlier. Accepting he was right Steve leaned forward to pick up his shoes and as he did an officer entered the room making Steve's head snap up at the man who stood tall and firm. Thinking he was screwed he just sat there frozen.

Suddenly the curtain opened to reveal a man Steve didn't recognise. He curtly looked up at the officer.

"Thank you." He says before the officer leaves closing the curtain in the process. "So," He starts opening the file in his hand. "You want to go overseas? Fight some Nazis?"

"Excuse me?"

"Dr Abraham Erskine." He introduces walking towards Steve. "I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve." He asked as Steve stood up.

"Where are you from?" Steve asked curiously as Erskine moved towards the bed and placed the file down.

"Queens." He answered subtly. "73rd street and Utopia Parkway. Before that Germany. Where are you from Mr. Rogers hmm?" Erskine turned his head back towards Steve who was still stunned that he hadn't been arrested. "Is it New Haven, or Paramus? Five different exams, in five different cities-"

"That might not be the right file..." Steve lied knowing he'd be arrested for telling the truth.

"It's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries..." Steve looked at Erskine confused before he continued. "But, you didn't answer my question: do you want to fight Nazis?" He asked walking back towards Steve in a serious tone.

"Is this a test?" Steve asks once he's had a moment to think.

"Yes."

"I don't want to kill anyone," Steve begins. "I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from." He proudly states his serious expression showing all the signs of truth.

"Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war..." Erskine says looking down for a moment. "Maybe what we need now is the little guy..." Erskine pauses contemplating his decision. "I can offer you a chance..." Erskine decides turning around tugging the curtain back and walking out with Steve following behind. "Only a chance."

"I'll take it." Steve decided instantly with a little joy in his voice.

"Good." Erskine says before opening Steve's file. "So, where's the little guy from? Actually."

"Brooklyn." Steve states truthfully.

"Congratulations... Soldier." He handed Steve the file leaving him to gawk over getting into the army.

"Congratulations." Someone stated.

"Thank you..." Steve replies before looking up to see the woman he had bumped into at the entrance earlier. "Your the one I bumped into..."

"I am indeed." The woman replied smiling nervously.

"Are you helping Dr Erskine?" Steve asked curiously looking up slightly to lock eyes with her.

"You could say that." She replies almost chuckling as she looking down at her feet.

"You are?" Steve asked as Rachel lifted her head back up.

"Oh, Rachel. Rachel Falsworth." The woman introduced holding out her hand for him shake. Steve nervously took it.

"Steve. Steve Rogers." Steve then replied even though Rachel already knew who he was. "Are you a nurse?"

"No, agent. MI6 to be specific." Rachel states crossing her arms over her chest.

"Overseeing Erskine?" Steve assumes clutching the file close to his chest almost feeling like he knew the woman.

"Not exactly. It's the outcome I'm looking after." Steve raised an eyebrow at Rachel curiously not understanding what she meant. "I must go." She says after a small pause realising something in the back of her mind before placing a comforting hand on Steve's shoulder. "Good luck." Steve watched as Rachel exited the room with a serious look on her face following the same direction Erskine took.

- -

"Agent Carter!" Rachel's eyes widened absentmindedly as she heard Erskine call the one and only Peggy Carter as Rachel stared down at the file in her hand as the two stood in the grounds of Camp Lehigh.

"Shit." Rachel was filled with panic instantly as she heard her coming their way.

"Doctor." Peggy greeted kindly before looking at Rachel who almost dropped the file knowing she was within meters of one of the most legendary women of the century. "Your assistant?" Peggy assumes raising an eyebrow at Rachel's flustered form.

"Agent. Actually." Rachel tried her best to act confident but her tone told the truth: not so confident.

"Division?" Peggy asked unsure of the woman's demeanour but silently admired her sudden attempt at confidence.

"Military Intelligence section six Agent Carter." Rachel states making Peggy's lips curl up ever so slightly.

"MI6 Huh..." Peggy nodded at Rachel who sent a small smile in her direction. "Impressive."

"Oh, um thank you..." Rachel blushed at the complement. Rachel wasn't one to blush but coming from the mouth of a legend she couldn't help it.

"She's here to help oversee the trails and experimentation once we get there." Peggy nodded in understanding as Rachel handed Erskine the file she had been reading on the Strategic Science Reserve to gain more intel so she could fit in better. "I'll leave you two to it..." Rachel's head snaps in Erskine's direction in shock.

"Fine with me." Peggy states as Erskine slowly walks away leaving a speechless Rachel with Agent Carter herself.

"S-So what's the plan Agent Carter?" Rachel stuttered feeling the nerves kick in. She had never felt so nervous in her life.

"One. It's Peggy. Two... we're going to meet the candidates. Show 'em we Brits don't mess around." Rachel smiles at Peggy's attitude and confidence gaining a little of it herself.

"Lead the way."