I Wish You Could See

Y/N watched for the fourth time this week as he left with another random girl

Y/N watched for the fourth time this week as he left with another random girl. A girl whose name he would forget, as soon as he pushed her out the door. She watched as he turned back to give her and his brother a shit eating grin and a thumbs up. With pursed lips and a sad roll of her eyes, she brings her drink to her lips. Remembering when that used to be her. The lucky girl, who's room he used to sneak into, after his brother was asleep. Remember how he used to make her feel. Remembering how he used to look at her. Remembering how he broke her heart, while she put on a brave and understanding face.

It used to be the same thing every week. Her, Sam, and Dean would roll into a new town for another case. They would get settled into their rooms before heading to the local bar for food and drinks. They used to play some pool before heading back to dive into their research. Her and Dean stealing glances when Sam wasn't paying attention. The subtle touches between turns. Leaving her motel room door unlocked and getting in the shower, while she waited for him to join her. The feel of his skin on hers. The sweet whispers of promises that would be broken.

It's different, now. When they reach a new town, they follow the same routine. Except this time, it leaves Y/N feeling broken as she watches Dean leave to add another notch in his belt. She's too busy watching Dean to realize that his brother is watching her. Watching as the light in her eyes dims a little more as she watches Dean leave with another women. Wishing he could help her. Wishing he could show her how he feels. Wishing he could take her mind off Dean.

Sam's not blind. He knew they had something going on. They were happy, and he didn't care if they didn't tell him. He never said anything, even if it broke his own heart. All he wanted was for them to be happy. He doesn't know what happened, he just knows something did. One night they were okay, but by the next morning they both were distant and quiet. Only speaking to each other when they needed to. Again, Sam never said anything. He tried his best to make Y/N smile, the way she used to.

Over time, it did return. Things were going back to normal, between the three of them. Conversation flowed easier, the jokes and pranks resumed, and the laughter was better. Sam thought everything was okay, until he saw Dean leave with the first woman. He saw the disappointment fill Y/N. He saw her put on a mask and acting like she was okay with what was happening.

Now, as he watches her, he decides they should finish up and go back to her motel room. He and Dean used to share a room, but lately his brother has been more adventurous with his escapades, so Y/N has been offering to share her rooms. The only thing is that, there is one bed. A bed, that they share. Sam has tried to sleep on the floor, but she won't let him. 'You shouldn't have to suffer, because your brother's a dick. I have no problem sharing with you. As long as you aren't uncomfortable sharing with me.' Why they never decide to get the room with two beds, is never discussed. Sam never argues or complains.

When they get back to the room, Y/N heads to the bathroom to get ready for bed and Sam sits on the bed and flips through the channels until he finds a black and white movie. He settles himself against the headboard to watch the film. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees the bathroom door open. He shifts his attention and sees Y/N brushing her teeth, while staring at herself in the mirror. He can tell she's doubting herself. Wondering why she's not good enough. Wondering what she can do to change Dean's mind. Wondering how much longer she can deal with the suffering.

She rinses her mouth out, washes her hands, cuts the bathroom light off, and walks over to her duffel bag in the corner of the room to deposit her dirty clothes. All the while, Sam is still watching her.

"They're playing your favorite Audrey Hepburn movie." He tells her, turning his attention back to the television.

"Sabrina?" Y/N asks, turning to look for herself. A small smile of excitement appearing on her face, "I can't believe it. It's been so long since I've seen it. So long, that I can't believe you remember it's my favorite." She walks over to the bed, shifting her smile and eyes to him for a moment, before settling herself next to him on the bed and pulling the blankets over her legs.

Deciding that it's his turn to get ready for bed, he stands up and walks over to his own bag in the corner. "Of course, I remember. You used to always talk about it. I don't know how many times, I would walk past your room at the bunker and find you watching it." He gathers his stuff and heads to the bathroom. His back facing her the whole time. Missing her following him with her eyes until he disappears behind the bathroom door, before returning her attention back to the television in front of her and settling beneath the covers.

About twenty minutes later, Sam opens the door and cuts the light out. He starts to walk towards his stuff but stops when he sees Y/N snuggled down into the covers and had fallen asleep. He looks at the tv and notices it's just to the part where Linus and Sabrina are reunited on the cruise ship. He smiles a small smile, before putting his stuff inside of his bag, cutting off the lights, crawling into bed beside her, and turning off the tv.

He rolls to face her. Taking a moment to watch her. The moonlight, shining through the curtains, creating a nice glow in the room. Giving Sam enough light to see Y/N's soft features. Seeing how peaceful she looked while she slept. Seeing how all her worries are forgotten. The crease between her eyebrows, eased. She was beautiful, and his brother was an idiot. Making her suffer every night. Making her believe she wasn't good enough.

He wishes he could make her see just how beautiful she is. Wishes he could tell her how he feels. How his heart was broken, the first time that he woke up to hear how Dean was making her feel. How he had to accept that he wasn't the one making her feel that way. How he feels to know he isn't the one she thought about. How he wishes he could kiss her and make her smile, the way she used to.

He tucks a piece of hair behind her ear. "You are perfect. You're too good for him. When he realizes it, it'll be too late." He whispers in the dark, before turning onto his back and letting himself fall asleep. Dreaming of a life with her. A life he knows they will never have.