Remus Lupin - Portraits

Requested by anon on tumblrWarnings: noneWord count: 850

Warnings: none
Word count: 850

After a long, exhausting day of school, you just wanted to be alone to free you mind again. You had to take two exams earlier, the teachers at Hogwarts didn't take it easy on you, at the moment. All the late night learning sessions got you drained.

Others would go out with friends, or hide in their dorm and read, to relax, but you had something else on your mind.
You headed to the fifth floor and sneaked into the Art classroom. Since your Professor had allowed you to use the room and its equipment, in your free time, you went there at least once a week to practice your skills.
But it was not only about practicing - painting was your thing. It allowed you to forget everything around you, any issues and concerns were washed away, as long as you held the brush between your fingers.

When you arrived, you took a deep breath, to find that even the smell of dried paint could calm you down, instantly.
You took a blank canvas from the corner and put it on an easel, before fishing out different colours from the drawer next to it.

You dipped your brush into a small container of orange paint and hesitated for a second, before placing the first stroke. Starting was always the hardest thing, because you usually never knew, what you were going for.
Once you had drawn a line, you could finally let go and it felt like your brain shut down and your body was taking over. You let your hands do, whatever they decided to do and your intuition took the lead.

Some time had passed, when you looked at the clock, seeing it was only half an hour to curfew. You had gotten quite far with the painting, which turned out to be a red cat on a rocking chair. There were only some bits and bobs missing, but you decided to finish it another day. The magical paint had done its work as well, as the cat started to stretch itself, while lying on its back on the chair.

You chuckled, while looking at it and wanted to put it down to dry, when you heard a voice behind you: "Oh, wow!"

You were startled and turned around, to see Remus standing behind you.
"Remus? What are you doing here?", you asked him twitchy.
He fumbled on his bag, saying: "Oh, hey! Sorry, I didn't want to disturb you. I was just walking past the corridor and saw light in this room. When I peeked in I saw your painting. It really looks fantastic. So real!"

You felt your cheeks blushing, not being used to be complimented by anyone other than your teachers. "Thank you, Remus. I don't think it's that special. I just enjoy painting and that's it" - "Stop it (Y/N), it really looks good! Are there other paintings you did, in here?"
He really seemed interested, so you went to show him some of your finished works, which were leaning against each other, in the back of the room.

"These few are mine", you mumbled, sliding them towards him, on the ground, so he could take a look at them. "Wow. They truly are nice! The accuracy and the detail. It's just - whoa!"
You started laughing, when he was flicking through, glancing at each one.
Until he reached the one you didn't actually want him to see.
You had been doing portraits in class and your task was to paint someone you know. You had decided to draw Remus, since his features were refreshing and his scars made it extraordinary.

"Oh no, uhm, this one's not meant to be seen!", you tried to stack them together again and wanted to put them away, but he was quicker, pulling out his portrait. "Is that me? You drew me?", he asked you, still looking at the frame. His drawn-self was peeking back at him, with a stern expression and hands crossed on his chest, only moving his head a bit.
"Yeah... We had to do a portrait of somebody we knew and I found you would fit quite well. I didn't think you would ever see it, so I'm sorry if you think it's weird", you sighed, the embarrassment made your muscles clench.

He turned his head over to you with wide eyes, saying: "Weird? This is awesome! It's like looking into a mirror. I also like that you exaggerated my muscles a little bit."

His commentary made you giggle again, answering: "Just a little bit, though."

He smiled, when he put the paintings back in the corner, making sure to put the one of him in the front.
"I didn't know you were so talented (Y/N)", he said, looking at the floor, putting his hands in the pockets of his pants. His usual easiness seemed to disappear somehow.
"Thank you so much", you smiled.
"Would you like to grab a coffee at Hogsmeade with me some time, maybe?", he suggested, talking a tad too quickly, while scratching the back of his head.
"I would love to, Remus!"