Fred Weasley - Fake it till you make it

Summary: A Fred x reader story where you involuntarily attend a Gryffindor common room party to your ex Cormac MgLaggen flirting with every girl he can find, so your best friend convinces you to get a fake boyfriend for the night, to pay him back ...

Summary: A Fred x reader story where you involuntarily attend a Gryffindor common room party to your ex Cormac MgLaggen flirting with every girl he can find, so your best friend convinces you to get a fake boyfriend for the night, to pay him back in kind.
Warnings: alcohol, douchy ex-boyfriend, teenage angst and drama, physical fights
Word count: 5.5k

Sometimes relationships just don't work out. Sometimes you have to end things before they get even worse. And sometimes you get dumped and realise the guy you've been seeing for months has been an idiot all the while.

Just one more day until Christmas break and you could go home for two weeks and try to forget him. One more day and an upcoming common room party. A Gryffindor common room party, for all four houses, to be precise. You hadn't planned to attend it actually, but your best friend Claire had convinced you.

"Don't give me that look Y/N", she said when you were on your way to the party. "It's going to be fun! We look good, we'll have some drinks, we'll dance a little. It will be fine."

"If we see Cormac, I swear I'm leaving right away", you told her and pulled your dress down, to check if everything was still in place while stepping on one of the moving staircases.

"Don't you dare", she mumbled. "Maybe he won't even come."

"He's gonna be there, you know it."

"But we'll still have fun! You don't need him for that."

You frowned as you waited for the staircase to finally stop moving and said: "I know I don't need him. And I don't want him. I just know he's going to be an ass about it and he'll try to make me jealous."

Claire grinned. "I know. But I have a plan. Come on now." The stairs had stopped at your desired spot, so she took your hand, pulled you with her and up to the Portrait of the Fat Lady.

The common room was packed with people already, loud music drowning everyone's voices and you had to squeeze through the crowds to reach the far end, find a somewhat quiet corner, get something to drink and check the room for familiar faces. While greeting some of your classmates and clinking glasses with Claire you recognized your undesirable number one from the corner of your eye.

Recently-single-Cormac stood just as far away as he needed to be for you to see him. He was surrounded by girls, some from your year and one or two from a year below. Classy. You knew he wanted you to notice him, as he wandered slowly and not so subtly towards you, followed by his new worshipers. He turned his head, sent you a sinister grin before carrying on talking to one of the girls, his hand resting on the small of her back, letting you know it was just a matter of time until he would decide who would be the lucky one to snog him tonight.

"Now that's just pathetic", you grumbled and turned away to look at Claire.

"It is", she said, her eyes in the same shocked expression as yours. "But, I told you, I got a plan."