𝔼ℙ𝕀𝕃𝕆𝔾𝕌𝔼

STEVE

Tony had a strange contemplative look on him as the motorcycle came to a halt. Steve didn't really know the reason for his sudden brooding—all in all, the last days had been a success. It hadn't always been pretty, sure, some questions the committee had thrown at them had hit too close to home, and some had been downright degrading, but in Steve's opinion, the outcome really made up for their trouble.

It was somehow strange to think that, only a little over five days ago, Steve had been alone here, in his old apartment in DC. He hadn't known where he stood with Tony, then, and he'd been so damn alone.

Now Tony was pressed at his back, his fingers firmly buried in Steve's leather jacket. When Steve turned around to look at him, the irritation on his face vanished in favor of a warm little smile that Steve still couldn't quite believe was directed at him. And while he would never allow himself to forget the pain that his heedless actions had put Tony through, he similarly wouldn't dismiss the way that had brought them here.

Steve had hoped, of course, but even now, his heart all but melted every time he thought about how lucky he was. Every time he considered the sheer wonder behind Tony's presence next to him, right in this moment.

It was strange, realizing how much a single year could change a man. Steve had known there were times and situations that demanded a certain willingness to adapt, and to change. It had happened with the serum, and it had happened again after seventy years in the ice. It had all changed him—and for the better, he hoped—but nothing had made his complete inner self shift like Tony. Of course, the last year had changed Tony, too. They had come from places that couldn't be any more different. But somewhere in the middle, they had met, linked, and were now steadily walking forward.

However, when Steve stood up and pulled Tony with him, the irritation was already back on his face.

He sighed and tossed Steve a quick glance. "It's nothing," he said, and gestured impatiently in the direction of the stairwell.

Steve rolled his eyes at him, but decided to indulge him for the moment. "Of course," he said walking up the stairs and tapping his fingers on the railing. Tony followed quietly.

"I should warn you," Steve added after a moment of fiddling with the keys, obviously once again jarring Tony out of his thoughts. "I didn't have much time to decorate. I don't have a TV, and the bed is a one man standard, so if you were expecting—"

Tony smiled comfortingly and placed a hand over his. "It's fine, Steve."

"You sure?" Steve grinned at him, as he opened the door. "This could be a rude awakening for you. Last chance. We can still book the Ritz and all..."

"Very funny," Tony said with a huff. "You're here. I'm here. Color my expectations met."

Steve paused at that to lean in and press a little kiss to Tony's lips. "This feels so surreal," he admitted, leaning back to brush another kiss over his forehead. "I never thought I'd be here with you. Never thought you'd..." Forgive me. He couldn't say it, because he didn't know if Tony had actually forgiven him yet.

"I know. Me, either." Tony sighed, and paused for a second as he stepped over the threshold. "Can we... just not talk about all the serious stuff tonight? I know you're guilt-ridden and I know we still have a lot to go through. Hell, we have an entire year to go through, and just thinking about it makes me really tired and... I just... It's been a really long day."

There was a beat of silence, and eventually, Steve nodded his agreement. "Yeah," he replied. "Of course. Come on. I'll give you the not-so-grand tour."