ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟞

STEVE

Slowly, Fury put the report down and sighed. "This is your final word?"

"Yes, sir," Steve answered evenly. The finality in his tone was probably a bit too firm, yet for whatever reason it didn't earn a real objection.

Instead, Fury waved a dismissive hand at the file. "It's not what I expected, Captain."

"I figured."

"Full approval for Stark," he repeated, more to himself than to Steve. "I'm not sure whether I should be happy about the tech he's going to provide us with, or mourning the days I didn't have a full-blown headache."

Fury's fingers skimmed the file. "Mr. Stark's behavior remains occasionally skittish ... Ability to remain focused when it matters most ... Full physical recovery ... A new sense of positive balance is likely to emerge due to Mr. Stark's averted demise ..." Fury looked up at his, clearly insinuating what he thought about that. And yeah, okay, Steve might've gone a bit overboard with predicting that Tony would ever possess something like a balanced mind. In his defense, he had been high on a feeling of relief while he'd written that report.

"Mr. Stark finally came clean to his loved ones, and was able to receive support by talking about the recent events, thus restoring a sense of inner calm and healthy physical and cognitive functioning." Fury snorted, shoving the file away. His eye focused on Steve and he pointed at his chest. "If he blows this all to hell, this is on you, Rogers."

Steve smiled in spite of himself. "I can live with that."

"Your mission is complete then," Fury said, phrasing it as a question and Steve started to shift uncomfortably on his chair.

Steve cleared his throat. He'd rehearsed this part: had repeated it so often he had to rein himself in to not simply blurt it out in one breath. "I believe it would be wise to stick around Stark for a while longer, sir. With Stark Tower and his new role at SHIELD, he is about to make a few very important decisions, and I think it would only be logical to let my mission continue until he has a bit more solid ground under his feet."

A still beat settled over the room. Fury's expression revealed absolutely nothing. No irritation, but also no mischievous glee.

Steve didn't panic, though. He knew who he was talking to, after all. He was well aware that Fury cared about Tony, more than he let on, anyway. He had seen the proof of it in Tony's file. There had been too many photos with a smiling Fury holding a young Tony in his arms for it to be a coincidence. It was really obvious. Back then, Fury must've been something like a proverbial uncle, and now he still looked after his little nephew from afar. He obviously didn't want anyone else know—especially not Tony—that he was sort of a silent guardian, a father figure in disguise, and Steve respected that.

When Steve had started his study on Tony, he had been sure that Fury didn't know about the pictures, that he wasn't aware that Steve had been able to get such a private glimpse of him. Now, though, it seemed more like Fury had intentionally put the pictures in Tony's file. That he had wanted Steve to see for whatever reason.

"You are aware that putting him on the team will eventually lead to him finding out, right?" Fury asked.

Steve shrugged a little. Every nerve in his body twitched with the need to move. The need to be anywhere but here. The need not to be under Fury's piercing gaze. "Yes," he said shortly. "I plan on telling him. After we get settled in New York."

Fury mouthed we and plastered on a dangerously innocent smile. "I see," he said with a nod, his eye shaded with deep amusement he somehow kept from his voice. "Fine. Make sure to give us a heads-up before you tell him. I'm gonna be... not here... then."