Chapter 20

Sara's P.O.V

"You can't. She is not ready!" I yelled.

"She is and we need her." Nyssa said.

"She's 16 and being sent to kill someone." I said putting her hands in the air.

"Age means nothing here. My first assignment was when I was 12." Nyssa retorted.

I sat down on the bed. Nyssa put her hand on my shoulder.

"She's... I don't want her to become me." Sara said.

"She must make her own choices, Sara." Nyssa told me.

I laid back on the bed.

"Sara, I cannot send her in if you disagree. It must be unanimous." Nyssa said.

"Fine." I said.

"Excellent." Nyssa replied

Hailey's P.O.V

My eyes slowly opened and saw Nyssa and Sara standing above me. I quickly got up and kneeled before them.

"Rise." Nyssa commanded.

"What is the plan today?" I asked.

"It is your first field mission." Sara said looking worried.

"Cool." I replied.

"You must choose an Arabic name. Now that you have proven your capabilities." Nyssa said.

"Okay.. I don't really know Arabic though." I replied sheepishly.

"Say something in English and I will translate." Sara said.

"How about, little bird?" I said.

They looked at each other and smiled.

"That suits you well." Nyssa said.

"Your name is now Tayir Saghir." Sara said with a smile.

"Come. We must initiate you now."

We walked down the hall and went to the mess hall. I hadn't ever been down here because I was usually passed out or Nyssa and Sara would bring me food. At the front of the giant room, there was a podium. Sara walked me to a seat and motioned for me to sit. I sat down and watched Nyssa walk to the front of the room. As she approached the platform, the room went silent.

"Today, our newest and best member is entering the field. Now it is a tradition that anyone can challenge her on the title of being the best right before entry. She holds the record of recovery after facing myself and Ta-er a Sahfer." Nyssa began.

A couple of snickers were heard across the room.

"Obviously there are disputes about that. Those who disagree and would like to dispute that please rise." Nyssa commanded.

6 people stood up triumphantly.

"Tayir Saghir, approach the front." Nyssa said.

I gulped and walked to the front.

"You 6, approach the front as well." Nyssa commanded.

They came and kneeled before her.

"The 6 of you will be fighting Tayir Saghir to dispute the title." Nyssa said.

They nodded and approached the stack of weapons. They each chose and backed away. Nyssa looks at me to tell me that it was my turn to chose. As I walked passed, Nyssa whispered, "choose wisely."

I looked at the row of weapons and only one thing stood out to me. The katana at the end of the row. I picked up and I heard a gasps all across the room. I looked at Nyssa. She nodded. "Take your places" Nyssa commanded.

The 6 assassins surrounded me. I hear Sara's voice in me mind. Believe in yourself and Focus on one at a time but always be aware. I closed me eyes and took a deep breath.

"Begin" Nyssa said.

I opened me eyes and watched them circle me.
As I exhaled 3 attacked at once. One swung at my head and two at my torso. I swung me sword in front of my body and heard the clink of metal on metal. The sword in my hand was weighted so perfectly and responded to my moves exactly how I wanted it too. With one quick move, I disarmed 2 of them. They scrambled to grab their weapons. The other 3 were circling me while the one who I hadn't disarmed stood in the middle across from me. He came running at me but I also heard people running up behind me.

For a moment, everything slowed down. I jumped and flipped over the 2 who slammed into the 3rd. When I landed, Nyssa clapped, signaling that it was over.

The 6 walked back to their seats in shame. Nyssa nodded at me and said, "Would anyone else like to try?"

The room was dead silent.

"Well then. The League Of Assassins welcomes Tayir Saghir to its ranks." Nyssa said.

Nyssa motioned for me to kneel in front of her. I did and Nyssa took my sword and placed it on my shoulder. "Welcome."

A cheer went up from the hall.
"ahlaan bik Tayir Saghir."

I returned to my seat and looked at Sara. Even though, all I could see were her eyes, I knew she was proud.

First death defying activity had been completed. On to the mission.