How it all began...

Dallas sat outside of Sage's apartment with the paper that was given to him a week ago. He hadn't spoken to Sage since he dropped her off. He was still mad about how she acted out at the cottage. As soon as he felt like he understood her, even a little bit, she switched it up on him and left him more confused than before.

For a second, he thought they were having a moment in the water. He loved feeling like he could protect her considering how sure she was that she could protect herself. She never wants help and in that moment he had his chance to show her that he could help her, that she could trust him.

Although she always says, "Don't take it personally, I don't trust anyone and I don't put anything above anyone either." He still believed he could earn her trust.

The main reason he was here was because curiosity was getting the best of him. As far as he knew Sage didn't have any friends outside of him, and he knew about the guy she was with a year or two ago. But not any details of their relationship. Sage didn't do people, she was as antisocial as they came, so why would these guys be looking for her and who were they to her?

Dallas needed to know. Locking his car door, he jogged up the stairs to her apartment on the third floor. He banged on the door and hoped she was home. He paused awaiting a response but was met with silence. He knocked again before hearing the latches and locks being undone on the door. It slowly crept open and there she stood with her hands on her hips and attitude all over her face.

"What are you doing here? I thought we weren't friends anymore." She said rolling her eyes.

"You don't do friends, remember?" He replied before brushing past her into her home. He took off his shoes and went to sit in front of the TV that had The Maury Show playing.

She locked the door before following him into her small living room.

"What do you want, Dallas? I'm busy." She barked at him while sitting on the arm of her old, beat up couch she had purchased from the local thrift shop.

"We need to talk. Stop being fucking awkward and sit next to me." He said sternly.

It was very rare that he swore at her, so she knew he was serious. She rolled her eyes and sat on the the couch with enough space between them a 500lb person could fit in the gap.

He looked at her and she looked straight ahead even though she felt his eyes burning holes into the side of her face. He grabbed her upperarm and dragged her directly next to him.

"Get off me, Dallas!" She fought his grip and tried to move further away.

Being so close made her uncomfortable and he knew it too.

"We could have done this the easy way, but as usual Sage you like to make everything so difficult for yourself and everyone else." He replied, with his unyielding grip still on her arm.

His words made her go still, "Fuck you." She said calmly as her anger started to rise in her chest.

She had missed him when he was ignoring her but now she just wanted him to go away.

"I didn't come here to fight with you," he sighed easing his grip he gently rubbed his thumb over the area he was previously holding tightly, "Some guys came looking for you."

Her body went rigid, it felt like her world was spinning. The first thing that came to her mind was 'cops'.

"Were they police officers?" She asked, trying to steady her breathing.

"Why would the police be looking for you?" He questioned, arching an eyebrow at her.

She didn't reply, just stared ahead. He grabbed the remote and shut off the TV.